41 • Faith ✓

Chapter 41: Faith

"Did you know that there are technically five stages of drowning? The worst that'll probably happen is that you could drown by surprise- obviously- and your body just feels afraid, too scared to move but then the fight or flight syndrome kicks in and you struggle for your life but that just gives you less energy. You can't hold your breath in a struggle so you just kinda let it all in, but that's when it takes a turn and your body makes it feel almost peaceful. So is it really the worst way to die?"

Mia trails off on her last word, taking a deep breath as she sits in front of Ms Morrell. The school and parents thought it would be a good idea to see the school councillor after the traumatic events at the Sheriffs station

Ms. Morrell leaned forward on her desk. "Are you saying you hope Matt felt some peace in his last moments?"

Mia shrugged. "I don't wish death on anyone, but I can't find it in myself to feel sorry for him."

"Can you feel sorry for the nine-year-old Matt who drowned?"

"I can feel sad about it, he was just a kid and he didn't deserve that. No kid does. But how he went about getting revenge? I can't feel sorry about something I didn't play a hand in that caused so, so many murders. And by the way, Stiles told me his dad found a ton of pictures of Allison on Matt's computer. Some of the pictures he literally photoshopped himself into to make them look like they were in some kind of relationship. That had nothing to do with drowning. He has-had no excuse."

"And what about you, Mia? A lot has changed for you in the past year, some good, some bad. Have you spoken to anyone about how you're really feeling lately?"

Mia looked up from her gaze on her lap to furrow her eyebrows, giving Ms. Morrell a confused stare. "Why would you ask me that? I'm- fine, I have to be. So much crap goes on we can't afford to stop and question something when there's so much more important issues to deal with."

Ms. Morrell was intrigued now, she put her hands on the desk to gain Mia's attention again. "Mia, if you feel like something is wrong you need to come out and say it. Nothing can be resolved if it's silenced."

The girl just shook her head. "What do you want me to tell everyone? I don't feel the same? That I feel like I'm constantly in pain?" She scoffed. "I don't go a day without pain meds anymore, every time I feel my head start to hurt it just takes over and feels as if my entire body is about to fall apart. My doctor thinks its psychological, you know? That when I was shot it triggered some kind of reaction to my brain, making me relive the pain over and over again."

"And what do you think? That's what matters here, Mia."

"I think," Mia paused and ran a hand through her hair. "I think something is wrong. I remember being shot, and this pain is different- it's almost as if its deeper to the core. Ya know? But like I said, I can't dwell on it. It'll pass, everything does."

"And when was the start of this? Surely this didn't come out of nowhere." Ms. Morrell questioned.

"Why are you not writing any of this down?" Mia asked, seeing that Ms. Morrell hadn't actually wrote a thing since they spoke about Matt.

Ms Morrell just looked down at the paper then back up to the teenage girl in front of her. "I'll take the notes after the session. Let's get back to you, when did all this start?"