Chapter 1

"Class, this is Cassidy Weathers. She just moved here from Utah a few days ago," my English teacher, Mrs. Jensen, said, gesturing to me. I gave my classmates a small wave and got a few mumbles in return that I guessed meant hello. I knew they were tired, it was only first hour.

"So, Cassidy, why don't you tell us about yourself?" Mrs. Jensen smiled at me.

I froze. That was the question I hoped nobody would ask. I shook my head, gently tapping my throat. A few kids gave me confused glances, and I blushed and sat down. I really hated "telling" people I couldn't talk. I was born mute and hated being teased about it. Mrs. Jensen gave me an apologetic look before starting the lesson.

I decided to look around to get a better look at my classmates. There was a girl with her red hair in a ponytail, and she was wearing a denim skirt and a pink shirt. She seemed popular; a lot of the guys in the room were paying attention to her instead of the lesson.

Then I noticed a kid sitting in the front row. He had orange glasses, brown hair, and he was wearing a button-down yellow shirt with an orange vest over it. His jeans bagged at the ankles, and he wore orange and white sneakers. The clothes were slightly too big for him, and I guessed that they were hand-me-downs. He had been looking at me, and I waved slightly. He waved back, before turning around and paying attention to the lesson. I doodled on my notebook until the bell rang. Students rushed to the door, and I followed them until I saw my instructor gesture for me to come to her.

"Cassidy, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable," she whispered to me, and I bit the inside of my cheek as I reached for the composition notebook I used to answer people. I searched for the page I wanted to use and smiled when I found it, pointing to the sentence.

It's okay.

I flipped to another page.

Thank you.

She nodded, and I pointed to the door, asking if I could leave. She nodded again, and I hurried to my locker. I had written a lot of responses in that notebook, I found it easier to do that then to carry a pad of paper and a pencil with me and write down every answer I wanted to reply with. In my notebook, I had written them down already, and would occasionally add one if needed.

I grabbed my Math notebook, and turned to leave, before I saw the same boy from my English class closing his locker. He looked at me.

"Uh...hi, I'm Rafael. You can call me Raf," he introduced. I smiled as I flipped through my notebook.

Nice to meet you.

He nodded, before another boy walked over to him. He had black hair, and was wearing a grey t-shirt with a white long-sleeved shirt under it and blue jeans.

"Hey, Raf. Uh, do you have the answers to the history questions from last night?"

Rafael looked at him. "Are you doing Miko a favor?"

"No, I really didn't do them. I had a...problem come up," he said, glancing at me. Rafael nodded.

I let them continue their conversation, walking away.

"What happened?" I heard Rafael ask. I couldn't hear the other boy's reply over the sound of the minute bell ringing.

After staring at the campus map I was given, along with my schedule, I was finally able to find my math class, though I was two minutes late. I tried to call as little attention to myself as possible as I sat down in a seat in the back. Luckily, my teacher didn't seem to notice. I tried concentrating, but I didn't understand half of the lesson, and I couldn't exactly ask what was going on. Instead, I took notes on what I didn't get and ended them in questions to make my teacher's and my life slightly easier.