Chapter 8

"...M-Megatron?" Miko whispered; slight fear in her eyes as she slowly backed away. I hid behind Jack.

"Hey, he hasn't seen us yet, let's just make a break for i-"

Jack was interrupted by Optimus, who charged into the room just then, optics fixed on Megatron. Miko yelped when they collided, causing dust to spring up all around us, making us lose our vision.

"M-Miko? Cassidy?" I heard Jack call. Everything around me was brown. I sneezed, and tried waving some of the dust away with my hand, trying to find the others.

"Here!" Miko cried in reply to Jack's call. She was just to the left of me.

"Cass-never mind," Jack called. His voice had gotten closer, and I took a blind step forward. And another. And another.

I bumped into something. It was smooth, and it made the surrounding dust slightly violet-colored. Whatever it was, I hugged it.

Only a few seconds later did I realize what I was hugging. I was hugging the purple crystal I hadn't wanted to touch earlier. Despite that, I held onto it like it was a lifeline until the dust settled enough to see. I could pick out two familiar figures as they came closer to me.

"You do know that's Dark Energon you're hugging, right?" Jack smiled. I looked back at the purple crystal.

So that's Dark Energon. Good to know.

I quickly let go and brushed myself off.

"Come on! We gotta see what happened to Megatron! Or Prime!" Miko cried, grabbing my hand and pulling me a few feet to another crystal. The fight between Megatron and Optimus hadn't stopped. We practically had to yell to be heard over the sound of scraping metal. Jack joined us, and involuntarily gasped.

Optimus' arm had nearly been covered from shoulder-plate-thing to servo in energon. A large gash in his shoulder-plate was most likely the reason. His chest-or chassis, Ratchet had corrected me multiple times-had another gash in it. His right leg looked like it had been stuck in a garbage disposal of some sort and it could barely support him. His paint job was scratched well all over him. I had a feeling Optimus had gotten these injuries from Megatron before he charged into the room. A previous fight somewhere else, maybe?

"Give up, Optimus. You can barely support yourself," Megatron smirked. His cold voice sent chills down my spine. I saw Miko shiver slightly. Jack didn't seem to be affected. The Dark Energon in Megatron's servo seemed to have been dropped.

"You know I will beat you Megatron." Optimus' voice was labored. He unsheathed his sword, taking a swing at him.

"I know you're going to try," Megatron replied with a smirk, easily dodging it.

"Oh, and did you know I had a chat with one of your human friends? Jackson Darby, was it?"

Miko and I immediately turned to look at Jack, who's eyes had widened.

"You talked to Megatron?" Miko whispered as loudly as she could. I knew she wanted to scream, though.

"L-later, Miko. Later," Jack replied, looking back at the fight.

"You what?" Optimus said slowly, his voice threatening. He swung a few more times.

"Oh, yes. It was in a collapsed mine. He had a mining drill and had the chance to finish me. I was in an...uncomfortable position at the time. I told him to go ahead and do it. He would never get a better opportunity. Do you know what he said, Optimus?" Megatron asked, clearly liking this conversation as he avoided Optimus' attacks. Optimus didn't respond.