Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Luckily Miko had dropped the subject by lunch.

She had also dropped a textbook on my foot right before the bell rang, and I yelled at her inside my head as my foot throbbed. She told me sorry multiple times as she helped me to my next class, carrying her pack and mine.

"Hey, at least this way we can see if Ratchet cares at all," she whispered in my ear as she helped me into the classroom. My eyes widened as I punched her roughly on the arm. Miko smirked.

"Ms. Weathers," my ASL teacher scolded.

I gave her an apologetic look as Miko left the room, going to her own class.

After ASL, I stuffed my notebook into my bag and limped out into the hallway, before feeling a hand on my shoulder. I turned around, where green eyes met mine. I gave Vince a small wave.

"Hey. You okay?" he asked, looking at my foot, which was lifted up off the floor. I nodded in reply.

"I can help you to your next class, if you want," he offered. I gave him a skeptic look. Miko had told me a little about Vince. Eventually I agreed. I couldn't really walk without help, anyway, and no one was really around besides him.

I put my arm around his shoulders as he took my pack and held my arm and my waist.

This was awkward.

We said nothing for the entire walk there, until we were into my classroom, and he set my bag on my desk as I slid into my seat next to Miko with a soft exhale and a nod to Vince in thanks. He returned the gesture, and Jack shot Vince a look.

"See ya around, Darby." Vince said to him, before glancing at Raf and Miko and walking out of the room.

"Cassidy?" Miko asked me in disbelief. I gave her an innocent look.

"Vince helped you?"

I shrugged, reaching into my bag for my notebook to answer her, before I realized it wasn't there. My eyes widened, and I searched over my entire backpack. It wasn't there.

"Uh...Cassidy?" Miko asked, noticing my alarm. I stopped, thinking. I vividly remember sticking my notebook into my backpack. What would make it go missing? There wasn't any gaping hole in my pack or anything.

Vince.

I grabbed a sheet of loose-leaf paper, scribbled a few words on it, and showed it to the others.

My notebook is missing. I think Vince took it.

"Oh, great," Jack muttered. I nodded, deciding I could start a new one if Vince never returned it.

"Wait. Whenever you talked about the...'bots," Miko said, her voice dropping to a whisper at ''bots'. "Did you ever erase your replies?"

My eyes widened, realizing I never did.

Oh, scrap.

I really hope I left it in ASL.

Once the class was over, Miko helped me to my ASL class to look. It wasn't there.

I mentally kicked myself in the head.

How could I be so stupid?

We joined Raf and Jack in the front of the school.

"Ratchet's mad," Jack whispered to me.

"You told him?" Miko screeched, making Jack, Raf, and myself wince. I saw Arcee turn her front wheel over to us.