Chapter 14

I woke up the next morning feeling like something was going to happen. Whether it was good or bad, I didn't know.

I quickly got dressed and went down the stairs, where my mom was already at the kitchen table, nibbling at a piece of toast. She was staring at something on her phone, and I tried looking as I was getting some cereal out. She was reading an article about a planetary alignment throughout the solar system. I pointed to it, curious. She let me read it, showing me her phone.

A recent discovery has been made; our planet Earth will align with the other planets in our solar system, including Pluto. Here's the catch: Mercury and Venus will not be involved in this alignment.

Conspiracies are being made, that this will be the end of the Earth as we know it, though scientists claim otherwise.

I rolled my eyes. Stupid conspiracies.

The idea that Mercury and Venus not in the alignment was interesting, though.

The alignment should be taking place either tomorrow or Wednesday.

"Interesting, huh?" my mother asked, and I nodded in reply, going to the fridge to find milk.

I soon sat down with my cereal, pondering over the alignment. It was interesting, to say the least, and my school would no doubt be interested in it. My science teacher would no doubt be talking about it, as we were currently studying space and astronomy.

I finished up, sticking my bowl in the dishwasher before grabbing my backpack.

"I don't see June out there," my mom commented, glancing out the window. She and Nurse Darby had gotten closer as friends, which is why she referred to her by her first name.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you...she isn't coming today..." I signed, walking out the front door.

"She never said anything about that to me..." I heard my mom say to herself as I closed the front door and walked to school, eventually getting there and trying to not get run over by kids as I went to my locker, where Miko and Raf were already there.

"Hey, Cassidy!" Miko greeted cheerfully. I waved to her in reply to her greeting.

"So...Ratchet told us you left," she said quietly, so no one would hear but me and Raf. I nodded.

"Why?"

I flipped to my explanation I used the day earlier. Knowing the others would ask questions, I hadn't erased it.

I've decided that I want to leave Team Prime. I can't keep up lying from my sister much longer, and she'd stop asking questions that would reveal your guys' secret if I just never came to the base or got picked up by you or the others.

"So...you left because of your younger sister?" Miko asked. I nodded, writing.

I didn't want the 'cons to find her or the rest of my family or anything.

Miko nodded. "You do know how much you're going to miss it, right?"

I'm gonna miss 'cons?

She scoffed. "No. You're going to miss the fun parts. Like running away from the 'cons, and blowing up mines...and watching Ratchet ask Jack if he would fall in love with a toaster." She continued to talk quietly.

"Jack even left when he first met the 'bots. He was back a day later," Raf added, looking up at me.

Good for Jack.

I smiled, before looking around.

Where is he, anyway?

"Running late." Miko shrugged, before the first bell rang.