Chapter 26

One week later.

A lot happens in a week.

My parents seemed to be healing well, Lillian was doing okay, and I'd been released from the hospital. Lillian and I had been staying with Nurse Darby and Jack until my parents were released, which was happening tomorrow.

In the meantime, another car started picking up Jack. A racecar, with 38's on the doors. One time I walked over to it, and Jack introduced me. The racecar became freaked out, until Jack told him I already knew about the Autobots, and then the car had introduced himself as Smokescreen. He seemed really cool, and Jack told me he was teaching him about Earth.

He had come home early that night, looking a little frazzled. He told us Optimus had gotten a sword called the Star Saber, and it was really powerful. Powerful enough to slice a mountain in two. I was excited, and in shock, at the same time. Jack had offered I come to the base. Ratchet was driving everyone crazy. The only time he seemed to snap out of it was during a mission. But once it was over, he was back to worrying and apparently wanting to talk to me.

I hesitated, but told him I would come once we were settled back down in our own house.

Soon enough, that day had come, and Jack asked me about it again. Lillian opted not to go, still claiming the "robots" freaked her out a little, especially the "large tall one".

Smokescreen picked me up, with Jack at the wheel again. He said Arcee was busy. I was okay with that, no offense to Arcee but motorcycles sort of scared me.

We drove to base, and Smokescreen made a few donuts in Ratchet's med-bay before finally stopping and letting us out.

"Smokescreen-!" Ratchet was about to scold him until he caught sight of me and stopped, staring me down. His optics were back to their normal color, and I smiled slightly. His gaze shifted over to my arm, and I saw a twinge of guilt pass over his faceplate.

"We'll leave you two alone," Jack muttered, giving Smokescreen a look, who let Jack get inside before speeding off again. I watched them leave, and saw Bumblebee, leaning against a wall, watching Ratchet. Ratchet was ignoring him, and he was only looking at me.

"You're...back," he eventually said, and I nodded, giving him a small smile.

"Do...you want to go for a drive?" he asked, and I hesitated.

"Don't worry, Bumblebee's on monitoring duty," he added. So that's what he's there for.

I slowly nodded, and Ratchet transformed, opening the door for me. I hesitantly got in, notebook in hand and buckled my seatbelt. I heard the sound of transforming behind me, and saw Bee was ready to tag along.

"Doesn't that annoy you?" I signed into his side mirror.

"Occasionally. But they have every reason to be monitoring me. Although, I'm pretty sure they're about done with it themselves," Ratchet replied, starting his engine and driving off.

"I'm surprised you trust me so easily," Ratchet said after a few minutes of silence.

"So am I," I signed back. Why did I trust him?

"Ratchet, can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"Did you know what was going on when you were under Megatron's influence?"

"Yes. I was aware. I saw everything. And I couldn't stop myself. I saw your fear, your pain, everything. And it hurt me to know I hurt you. I'm pleased I was able to take control long enough to get you free," he replied, continuing to drive. I nodded, looking out the window.

"...and I understand if you don't want me as your guardian."

I slowly turned to face his steering wheel, and out of the corner of my eye I saw his side mirror move to look at me. I was silent for the rest of that ride.

Eventually we went back to base, where Optimus, Arcee, Bulkhead, and Smokescreen were all in the room, discussing something. Arcee didn't look happy. The humans were in their own area, watching them.

They all stopped when we drove in, and Bee transformed to join the others while Ratchet opened the door for me, and I got out and looked at them, wondering why they were all staring at us.

Ratchet transformed behind me.

"What's going on?" he asked, and Optimus turned to look at him.

"Ratchet, old friend, how would you feel about giving the responsibility of watching Cassidy to Smokescreen?"

My eyes widened and I turned around to face him, and he only looked down at me.

"To be honest, Optimus, she has grown on me, and though I never thought I would say this, I wouldn't mind keeping her as my responsibility. But, with what has happened in recent events, I don't think I should make that decision."

I continued to look up at him as I knew all eyes, or optics, were now on me. I remembered what Ratchet had said moments earlier.

"...I understand if you don't want me as your guardian."

But, I did want him. Sure, he hurt me. But then again, Ratchet himself wasn't the one that did it. He said it himself; it hurt him to know he hurt me. And for some reason, I trusted him. And I don't think I would like anyone else as my guardian.

I looked over at Optimus, who was watching me intently, and I turned back over to Ratchet again, before walking over, and hugging his pede.

My name is Cassidy Weathers.

I'm mute.

I have been ever since I was born.

I have a guardian.

A robot, or, excuse me, a robotic organism from the planet Cybertron.

His name?

Ratchet.

His name is Ratchet.

~~~

Next part.