Chapter 12

A rapid beeping, plus a blinking green light, caught my attention. The others didn't seem to notice or care, except Optimus, who stirred from his "recharge", but otherwise didn't move.

"Agent Fowler's back," Ratchet grumbled, watching a man walk away from a helicopter. He walked over to the human-sized elevator, which was moving, with a light showing what level it was currently at.

Soon, it reached the bottom, and the person known as "Agent Fowler" stepped out.

"Prime? Prime!" he shouted angrily, before spotting Optimus, which I noticed took Agent Fowler by surprise.

"Agent Fowler, please," Ratchet sighed, glancing at Optimus, who now fully woke up from his recharge by the Agent's shouting. He slowly propped himself up, looking back at Ratchet, before seeing Agent Fowler.

"Agent Fowler? What brings you here?"

"You know very well, Prime. Blowing up a mine that big caused a lot of suspicion. Heck, it could be seen 500 miles away! What happened out there?"

"We found a Dark Energon signal and we were outnumbered...the mine blew up accidentally," Ratchet said, pointedly looking at us at the word "accidentally". Agent Fowler grumbled, looking back at Optimus.

"You really need to be more careful! As far as anyone knows, it was a test for a new explosion gone wrong, and even that lie won't hold up very well. Another slip-up like that would definitely make the government shut your operation down!" he snapped. Optimus nodded, just going with it.

"Anyway, I have to go down to General Bryce's office soon; I just need an update on Team Prime."

"We're fine," Ratchet said quickly.

"That tells me nothing," Agent Fowler replied, looking to Optimus, who frowned.

"Ratchet will be more help to you right now than I will."

"Why?"

"'Cuz he's losing his mind." Miko shrugged. Jack elbowed her.

"He's what?" Agent Fowler asked, now completely confused.

"Optimus was injured by Megatron, causing him to fall into self-induced stasis, which is risky if not done medically. When Optimus came to, he lost six weeks' worth of memories," Ratchet explained.

"Oh, boy," Fowler sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger as he closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he glanced around, before noticing me for the first time.

"And who is she?" he snapped.

"This is Cassidy. She recently found out about us," Miko introduced. Agent Fowler sighed, completely exasperated.

"You bots really can't hide your cover, can you?" he rolled his eyes. "So what's the story?"

"Nothing much," Ratchet said quickly before anyone could say anything.

"If you define 'nothing much' as Ratchet-"

"Ep-ep-ep!" Ratchet cried, interrupting Arcee. Fowler raised an eyebrow.

"Ratchet what?" he asked, looking between me, Arcee, and Ratchet.

Ratchet sighed heavily.

"I ran her over, that's all."

"That's all?" Fowler practically shouted. He cleared his throat. "So who's protecting her?"

Everyone looked at Ratchet.

"Very funny...seriously, who's protecting her?" Fowler asked, now looking to Arcee.

"Me. Why is that so hard to believe?" Ratchet sighed.