Chapter 10

Ratchet's P.O.V.

How was I going to explain to Optimus I had a charge?

The question continued to occupy my mind as I drove down my charge's street to pick her up for the day.

Then again, how was I going to tell the others?

They didn't know yet, as Optimus was still in recharge when they left to pick up the humans. For all they knew, they thought he was still in stasis.

I slowed to a stop in front of Charge's residence, where she showed up a few minutes later. I noticed a younger human female-the same one who questioned who I was-watching from the doorway as she left, a skeptical look on her face. I started to mentally thank June for the tinted windows, but then stopped myself, remembering the terrible trip to the mechanic.

Charge quickly got in the passenger's seat, and I sped off as soon as she closed the door, wrapping my seat belt around her and clicking it into place in the process. She flipped to a page in her notebook and took the pencil that was perched on her ear. A few seconds later she showed her notebook up to my side mirror, and I read it.

Are we in a rush?

"I...well...yes and no. I just want to get to the base before the others. Oh, and when we get there, stay behind me, okay? Don't let yourself be seen until I tell you that you can come out."

She gave me a puzzled look.

"Long story short, Optimus lost part of his memories. He won't know you."

She hesitantly nodded, leaning back into my seat as she placed her pencil back on her ear. I was silent the rest of the ride and my charge didn't try to bring up conversation.

Once we drove into the base, I parked toward the entrance so she could get out without Optimus seeing, and I transformed. I could feel her hide behind my ped. I looked around; no one seemed to be back yet. Optimus was lying on his berth, and I walked forward. Charge followed, which for some reason made me smile as I checked up on the Prime.

"Ratchet? Where were you?" Optimus asked quietly, trying to sit up.

"I...went out for a while," I replied as I helped him. Jack and Arcee sped into the room before Optimus could ask anything else.

"Optimus, you're looking better," Arcee nodded as she transformed. Optimus nodded, but I could tell he was confused. Jack averted Optimus' gaze, going over to their area. Optimus watched, still confused, most likely on Jack's behavior, but let it drop.

We heard Miko and Bulkhead long before we saw them, as Bulkhead was playing the band Miko liked (I believe she called it slap maniac or something...I don't remember) at maximum volume, and Miko was singing, more like screeching, at the top of her lungs. Raf and Bumblebee followed close behind.

The music stopped as soon as Bulkhead transformed, and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Hey, Optimus, how are you feeling?" Raf greeted as he exited Bumblebee's alt.

"I...feel confused," Was Optimus' reply, though it was very quiet.

"Since you guys are here now, there's something I need to tell you," I said to the others, who turned to look at me.

"Ratchet, where's Cas-"

"Arcee, just wait a second," I said quickly, interrupting her.

"As you all know, Optimus was, and still is, recovering from a recent encounter with Megatron-"