Chapter 4

After treating me for my scrapes I had gotten, Bumblebee, Raf, Jack, and Miko took the liberty of telling me about their previous adventures. Miko made herself comfortable on the couch as Jack was sitting on the floor, and I was sitting on a stray crate. Raf was on Bee's shoulder, with Bee standing behind Miko.

I was happy and sad for myself when "talking" with Bee. I was happy another person-er, bot, knew what it was like to be mute, but the only thing I was sad of was that he could actually use his voice, even if it was only beeps. I guess, in a way, Raf was his notebook, and beeping was his ASL.

I smiled at that thought instead of listening to Miko tell the story of how she, Raf, and Jack got caught in an alternate dimension with a giant metal zombie. My thoughts shifted to my new guardian after a while, even though Miko was still rambling on.

"So we try to call my phone back at base, but guess what? The fourth dimension has lousy cell phone reception. Keep that in mind next time. Eventually we try texting, but then the zombie comes back-"

"Skyquake," Jack said flatly, interrupting her. I smiled, starting to write in my notebook again.

"Skyquake comes back and then we have to keep running. Eventually we run into an arm, and-"

Miko was interrupted by me placing my notebook in her lap.

What's Ratchet like? Besides grumpy and mean.

"Uh, if I could describe him in two words, those would be it," Miko replied. Raf sighed.

"He's not mean; he's just...well...how would you like it if your planet was destroyed by war and you had to go to an unknown world and become a government secret and then had to deal with organisms much smaller than you, and your leader doesn't want to harm them? But it drives you nuts sometimes, especially when they get annoying," he said, pointedly looking to Miko at the last part.

"Wow, Raf. When you put it that way, I'm surprised Ratchet hasn't tried to step on us yet," Jack said, smirking at Miko. She grumbled, and Bee made a long droning sound, which I guess meant he disapproved. I shook my head in amusement, writing down something else.

So Ratchet doesn't like humans.

It was a statement. Not a question.

"Raf is the only one he has meaningfully interacted with so far," Jack replied.

"But that's probably because I help fix his computer when he needs it," Raf shrugged.

"No, remember the time Megatron took over Bee? He-"

Miko's comment was interrupted when Bumblebee made a sharp beep, and his eyes dilated.

"Miko, you know he's still getting over that," Raf scolded in Bee's defense.

"Sorry, but my point was that Ratchet had taken you along, because he cared."

"No I didn't!"

We all jumped at Ratchet's sudden outburst. He turned around to face us.

"Raf cared that he was there! If anything, I brought him into danger because I didn't care!"

I shied away from Ratchet, hiding behind Jack from his place on the floor.

"I thought you couldn't hear us-" Jack started, briefly glancing at me, slightly worried and confused.

"Like I said before. My pistons-"

"-may be rusty, but your hearing is as sharp as ever, yes, yes, we know," Miko said, cutting him off. Ratchet sighed as he rolled his eyes again, grumbling about humans and caring and other things. I peeked over Jack's shoulder to see Ratchet focused back on his work, and slowly went back to my original crate.

"Don't worry, if you get to know him, he's actually pretty nice," Raf smiled at me. I reached for my pencil and notebook again.

I doubt Ratchet will let me get to know him.

"Aw, don't be like that. You two will get to know each other eventually, he's your guardian!" Miko replied.

Ratchet's P.O.V.

I had heard the humans' entire conversation, but only payed attention to it when Miko stopped talking about the shadowzone. Raf wasn't right, about me only caring for him because he fixed the blasted earth technology and made it useable again. I actually-

I shook my helm.

What's wrong with you, Ratchet? Focus! Finish working on scanning energon signals. The humans are not yours to care for. And Cassidy is only your charge. Someone you've been assigned to protect. It's different than caring for them.

I sighed. I didn't want to care. Caring made me look weak. And the team needed a medic, not a babysitter. I can't do my job and take care of a human. I'm not like Bumblebee, Arcee or Bulkhead.

And I don't care for Raf or the others.

I don't.

I really don't.

I think.

I don't know.

I was touched that Raf said I was nice and tried to relate to my situation, though. I smiled to myself as I looked at the monitor, before realizing it was time to take the humans home. My smile went away as I turned around, seeing Jack already on Arcee and Bumblebee setting Raf down from his shoulder.

There's no way I'd let my charge sit on my shoulder. Letting Raf do it was an exception, since it was only once.

I saw Miko give my charge a smile before going over to Bulkhead, and her eyes met my optics. She pointed two fingers at her face in a V-shape, before then pointing at me. I rolled my optics and returned the gesture, which actually made her laugh. I shook my helm, before looking up and sighed, seeing Optimus watching me, no expression evident on his faceplate.. I ignored him, turning my attention over to my charge, who was standing on the catwalk, gripping her arm as she bit her lip. I figured she was nervous, considering she'd be riding in a vehicle that had just run her over. I said nothing as I transformed, and opened my passenger seat door for her. She hesitantly looked at me.

"You coming? I don't have all day," I snapped.

"Ratchet," Optimus's deep voice scolded.

"Sorry, Optimus," I apologized as she got in, and I closed the door after her. I left the base without another word, and we were both silent until I realized I couldn't read her mind and never knew where her residence was.

"What is your address?"

I felt her jump, and she reached for her notebook, before showing me via my side mirror.

764 Pearson Road.

I was silent again, but I could feel my charge drifting off.

"Wake up," I demanded, and she opened her eyes in a flash, and I could see her blushing.

I pulled up to her residence, before opening the door for her. As soon as she stepped out, the door to her house opened; and a small human female ran out to hug her, followed by a taller female and male. I noticed she dropped her notebook and didn't bother picking it up. Instead, she started signing. It was American sign language, that much I knew. I could probably learn how to read her hand signals so she didn't have to use the notebook all the time. That is, if I cared to learn.

Which I don't.

Right?

~~~

Ratchet seems hesitant to care. Poor Doc-Bot.

5 pages exactly on word. 2 and 1/2 on Watty.

Other than that...not much else to put here. Hope you enjoyed! :D

*disappears*