Chapter 2

After taking my foreign language class, which was American Sign Language, I went to my last class of the day. Science.

When I entered, I immediately noticed Jack, Miko, and Raf. This seemed to be the only class we all had together, and the first class I had with Miko. Whatever Miko was about to say wouldn't leave my mind.

Decepti-what?

I shrugged to myself as I took a seat in the front, waiting for class to start. I saw Vince enter the room, and looked away. This guy didn't seem so nice after all, from what he had been doing to Jack at lunch. He sat down next to me.

I pretty much ignored him the entire class period, even though he tried getting my attention multiple times. Once the bell rang, I was the first out. Miko caught up with me at the steps, grabbing my arm.

"Hey!" she greeted cheerfully, before she continued on as if nothing happened. I raised an eyebrow, wondering what that was about. I watched Miko meet up with Jack and Raf, and watched Jack leave on his bike when an olive green SUV-thing and a black-and-yellow muscle car pulled up to the curb. Miko got in the SUV while Raf got in the muscle car. I thought nothing of it and started walking home.

I entered the garage door passcode and waited for the door to fully open before stepping inside. I closed the door after me, and was greeted by the silence of our house.

It made sense, my mom was out on a job interview, and my dad was currently working for the company that transferred him, and my little sister Lillian was still at school herself. I walked into my room and shrugged off my backpack, it suddenly feeling very heavy, and kicked off my shoes. I tucked my long brown hair into a messy bun to keep from sweltering in the Nevada heat, even with our air conditioning working, and rummaged through my backpack for the homework I was supposed to do. I settled down on my bed with it.

About halfway into my math problems I heard the school bus pass by our house, heading toward it's normal stop. After about five minutes I heard my seven-year-old sister enter the house.

"Cassidy! Where are you?"

I rolled my eyes, getting up from my bed. I couldn't exactly shout back to tell her I was in my room.

I walked out, saying something in American Sign Language. My family had learned it so I wouldn't have to write everything down to communicate with them. Lillian was still learning.

"I know you can't reply. I call anyway because it saves me time to see where you were than to look around. And why are you asking about apple juice?"

I shook my head, disappearing back into my room.

Once I completed my math problems, which took a great deal of effort and memorization, I walked back out, having nothing else to do. I played with my phone for a bit before I got a text.

Hey, you doing anything tonight? -Miko.

I replied.

How did you get my number?

I...might've looked at your phone during lunch?

I smiled.

Anyway, I'm not doing much, why?

I didn't get a reply for a while, and completely forgot about the conversation when my mom came home, followed soon by my dad. I waved at them in greeting, before Lillian bounced over and the three started talking excitedly. I felt another buzz in my pocket. It was a text from Miko.

I set up a group message with Jack and Raf.

I switched over to the group message, eventually adding Raf and Jack into my contacts.