Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Cassidy, where have you been? We've been trying to text you for the past two hours!"

"And what's with the ambulance?"

"What happened to your arm?"

My parents were fussing over me, and I shifted uncomfortably, not liking it. Ratchet was still parked on the street. I started signing.

Sorry, we lost track of time. And I fell and scraped myself.

"For four hours?" My dad asked at the same time my mom asked if I was okay.

I was spared from answering their questions when I felt a tug on my sleeve. I saw Lillian pointing at the ambulance, and I figured whatever she was going to ask wasn't a good question concerning the identity of the Autobots.

"Why is there no driver?" she whispered so my parents wouldn't hear.

Ever so slightly, Ratchet's front wheels turned to my direction. If I wasn't looking at him I wouldn't have noticed. I guess he heard.

You're imagining things.

I turned back to my parents

Come on, it's getting cold, can we go inside?

I was lying. It was over 90 degrees outside, but luckily my family followed me into the house without saying anything about it. I didn't want to answer anything knowing that there was a live robot nearby.

'Who dropped you off' was the first question I was asked once we were all in the house. I signed back, having remembered Jack telling me about his mom briefly at the base.

Jack's mom. She's a nurse.

"And Jack is...?" my mom asked, gesturing for me to explain better.

One of the friends that showed me around the city. Jack Darby.

I was hammered with a few more questions before I was able to escape to my room. Lillian followed me.

"I was not imagining things. There really was no driver," she said as she grabbed my arm. I ignored her.

"You think I am imagining, aren't you? I wasn't. You were in a phantom car or something!" she said, eyes wide. "Are you even listening to me?" she yelled loudly in my ear. I cringed as I furiously signed;

I'm mute, not deaf. And stop yelling in my ear, it's almost like you want me to be deaf.

"I don't care! You were in a phantom car!"

I rolled my eyes as I exhaled softly.

Nurse Darby was just in the back of the ambulance getting something.

I shoved her out of the room, closing my door and locking it to end the conversation. I looked out my window, and saw that Ratchet was gone. I smiled slightly, before changing into an oversized T-shirt and sweatpants, and snuggling into the comfy sheets of my bed.

***

I woke up to something honking outside, and I groggily looked at my alarm clock. It was four in the morning. I rolled my eyes, wondering why anyone would be up and honking at this hour as I looked out my window.

A familiar ambulance was parked in front of my house. I grabbed my notebook and stormed out, where Ratchet immediately stopped honking. I showed him my notebook, though I had no idea how he would read it.

What are you doing?

"Waking you up. You have school today."

My eyes widened.