Chapter 20

???'s P.O.V.

"I need a test subject."

The five words slowly sank into the medic's processor as he turned to face his leader.

"What for?" he asked curiously.

"I have grown more interested with this substance...I want to know what its full capabilities are."

"Who would even be willing to be your...test subject?"

"You think I'm having one of my own be tested? I'm referring to an Autobot."

"Surely not Optimus Prime-"

"If it comes down to it," the other replied, determination evident in his expression.

"Lord Megatron, why have you gotten so interested in this subject now?"

"After the rising of Unicron, and how he controlled things...I want to discover how to best use that power for myself."

***

Ratchet's P.O.V.

I sighed, checking my monitors again. The Decepticons had been quiet since we got Optimus back, and I just had a feeling something was going to happen.

As if on cue, a loud, shrill screech sounded throughout the base, making me grip my helm. The noise rang in my audio receptors, giving me a processor ache.

Once it died down, I immediately unsheathed my blade to see what had happened, afraid we were under attack.

I ran over as the other bots came in the room, also looking a bit on edge. We all relaxed as soon as we realized what had happened.

It was Miko. She had maxed the volume on her guitar and played a *little* out of tune.

"Miko, you really need to watch what volume you're at," Jack grumbled as the others walked up to her.

"What in the AllSpark are you thinking?" I shouted, retracting my blade.

"I'm thinking 'wow that was loud'." Miko replied, making Jack facepalm. I groaned at her reply, shaking my helm.

"Blasted Earth music," I grumbled to myself, walking back to my monitor.

"Ratchet, do you ever not stand in front of a monitor?" Miko asked, watching me.

"You are being sarcastic, yes? Or did your brain suddenly melt overnight and you forgot the event of the four of us taking a SpaceBridge to get Optimus back?" I replied sardonically.

"Ratchet," Bulkhead warned, eyeing me.

"What has gotten into you?" Jack suddenly asked.

"Instead of asking me that, I would ask what is wrong with Miko," I replied, gesturing to the said teen, who gave me a "what gives" look.

"Ratchet, perhaps taking some time out of the base will do you good. I feel you may be getting...overwhelmed," Optimus said, walking up and placing a servo on my shoulder plate.

"Overwhelmed? Optimus, I'm fine."

::You're just a little..."tightly wound", Doc,:: Bumblebee interjected, making me glare at the scout for his word choice.

"Don't call me 'Doc'."

Optimus vented out slowly.

"Just for an hour. It will do you some good."