Chapter One

"And then that nigg--"

"Excuse me?" Pharaoh cut into what her best friend was about to say.

"Aw yeah. I'm sorry Pha. You gotta get used to this." He laughed. "I was saying nigga all the time while I was down in Atlanta."

"Well now you're back in Chicago and you won't be using that word around me, Dareus."

"Dang, Pha. I won't say it again." He apologized. "You ain't have to get mad at a nigg--" he cut himself off. "Brother. You ain't have to get mad at a brother." Dareus turned up the music and bobbed his head. I loved him. He was kind of my rock. I had known Dareus for ten years now. I can remember when I met him. My mom was his babysitter, we always played with each other and just never stopped being friends.

I looked to Dareus again. I had to admit, he was very good looking. He had middle tone skin, it was more towards the light side though, pretty hazel eyes and the best smile and dimples ever. I mean there was potential in him, we could be something. We joked around all the time, but never did anything more than cuddle. Not even a kiss. "What you starring at, Pha? You like what you see or something?" Dareus joked.

I laughed. "Boy stop. I was just thinking you got a dark ass tan while you was down there in Atlanta." I shook my head. "I guess I can't call you my light skin any more."

He looked at me confused as ever. "What you gone call me then? And don't say no slick shit, Pharaoh. I will pull this car over so fast and dick you down right then and there!"

I busted out laughing. "Never mind then."

"Aw, so you do got something to say?"

"Nope. I'm good."

"That's what I thought." Dareus pulled into my driveway. He was over all the time. My dad didn't really care. As long as I wasn't being a hoe or getting myself in trouble, then he let me do whatever I wanted. I could smoke and drink if I wanted. He'd supply me if I asked. He just gave me everything since my mom died of breast cancer when I was twelve. Sometimes it was too much, but he felt the need to replace my mother, something he could never give me. So he paid for things and let me have freedom instead. He only meant well.

"Hey daddy." I hugged and kissed him. "What you been up to?"

"Just working as usual, you know?" He looked to Dareus. "Son, you might as well move in. You here everyday anyways." We all laughed.

"I'm about to go get my stuff now. Moms won't mind." Dareus joked along. "Pha, I'm moving in!"

I looked at him crazy. "I would go mad if you lived here. I'm with you 22 hours a day. I need my little two hours, okay." I handed him a bowl of fresh mixed fruit with strawberry fruit cream and whipped cream on the side and two glasses." Here, take this. What do you want to drink?"

"I'll take whatever. Not sparkling water though. You forever have me drinking that stuff." He made a face.

"Sparkling water it is." I laughed and pulled out a cold can of orange Crush for him and bottle of cucumber water for me. "We'll be upstairs daddy." I looked to my dad. His eyes were planted on his blackberry while he tapped away at his iPhone. How does he deal with all of that at one time? I'm not even sure I want to know.

"I'll be heading out soon baby girl. I won't be back until after dinner. I'll leave you some money to go out and get you something or order pizza. Dareus can stay the night if he wants, too."

"Okay. Love you. Be safe." I gave my dad a kiss on the cheek.

"Love you too baby girl." I headed upstairs after he left.