Chapter One

I ran through the woods where no one dares to go when the sun starts to set in the horizon. The cool breeze wrapping me up as I ran against it.

Dodging and jumping over my obstacles, I kept running. My breathing was steady and my feet pounded against the ground in a rhythmic beat.

I hear nothing but the whoosh of the wind as I fight against it. Twigs and leaves snapping below my feet. Birds in the distance singing their evening songs.

This isn't my first time, nor is it my second. I ran in these woods many a times before. I run, because it helps calm me down and makes me feel free of all the worries that plague me.

You see, I was my mother's living punching bag. She comes at me when she's angry. Whether it was from work, from her many bad dates, or just from her bad day. But I should thank her in a way. Now I know how to defend myself against bullies or threats greater than my mother.

Father left when I was around six. Had an affair with his secretary in his office and mother walked in on them as a surprise for his birthday. She had nearly killed the woman if it wasn't for father to intervene.

One and a half years later, they were fighting over custody over me. Father was a CEO at a big mall in California and mother was a fashion designer in New York.

Yes, they're rich mofos. Spending every dime like its nothing. I'm not one to complain though. My allowance is great. Having two thousand a week, I can rent myself a condo and get away from both of them.

In the end, I was sent to live with my mother's parents in Montana by the social worker at the age of eight. It was agreed by both parties that I was to still get my allowance every week from both of them and for them to pay my grandparents for taking care of me.

Now at age seventeen, they were my world like how mother and father used to be. They treated me right like parents should be to their kin. Sometimes it breaks me but I was still standing strong in the end. I was thankful for everything they have taught me.

They and I have no care for so much money. We weren't greedy people, we cared for others. Granddad Teddy had set up a bank account for me and taught me how to manage my own money.

Not only did he teach me money management, he taught me how to fix cars and taught me money is no value when it is not hard earned. Said that, "A dollar earned is worth more than a dollar given freely. The money you earn makes you proud for what you've done while money given freely leads you down the path of greed. It will ruin your life and take away those that had become close to you."

Therefore, I was now an employee at Granddad's car shop. Helping and learning from him so I can become an independent women.

Grandma Deanna taught me the roles of a mature women, how a girl should act in front of adults and even to those my age. How a girl should hold her tongue but know when to use it to backfire against those that treats a women with no respect of being to their level. Said that, "A quiet women is a strong women. She who knows how to hold her tongue and observe and gather information is one who everyone should fear because it is those types of women that makes this world great. Because it's those types of women that has less drama in their life that makes a good wife."

My face had flushed slightly red at the end. Thinking about my life I don't think I would ever marry. It sounds nice but there's only one in a million men out there that will treat you right and love you and you only. I knew for sure I didn't want to be like my parents.

"I don't think I will ever marry, grandma. I want to stay like this forever," fifteen year old me managed to say with a slightly stuttered voice. Grandma Deanna gave me a pointed look as Granddad Teddy wholeheartedly laughed. "That's my granddaughter for you. Stay with us as long as you want baby doll," he cooed as he patted my head tenderly.