Chapter 7 - Overworking

That afternoon I told Bill if he needed help with his homework I would help, but he said he would be fine. When I got home and got inside, I realised Bill wasn't following me anymore. I freaked out a bit, but then reassured myself that he was a demon and couldn't really get hurt. Plus, he's not bound to staying by my side or anything; quite the opposite actually. He was there in the morning though and when I asked him where he had gone he said it didn't matter. The rest of the week he did the same thing every day and I was starting to feel a bit weird. I can't explain what I was feeling. I had no reason to be angry, so I wasn't angry, I had no reason to be scared, so I wasn't scared. I guess I was just unsure. I also noticed that Soos hadn't been at school all week.

On Friday I decided to call Soos, but he didn't answer. I frowned and decided straight after my homework I would go to his house to check on him. By the time I finished my homework, studying, chatting to Mabel, eating dinner and procrastinating it was 8pm. I grabbed a jacket and figured it was time to go to Soos'. I probably shouldn't have left it that late but I forgot about it honestly. Everything just slips my mind these days.

I opened the door and was about to walk out when I noticed Bill was leaning against the doorframe with his eyes closed. I noticed he was wearing his work uniform.

"Bill?" I said cautiously, tapping his shoulder. He slowly opened his eyes and focused on me.

"D-Dipper!" His eyes shot open and he stood to attention. "H-Hey." He said nervously.

"What were you doing?" I asked, eyeing him suspiciously. He seemed really tired and drowsy with his body swaying side to side and his eyes with dark circles around them.

"N-Nothing I just uh... Needed help with homework." He said quietly.

"Come in..." I said, still eyeing him. He took one step and his leg almost gave way, causing him to stumble into the doorway. I grabbed his shoulders to prevent him from falling. "What's wrong?" I asked. His body went limp in my arms and I moved my hands to his waist for a better grip. "Bill!?" I gasped.

Still no reply. He was breathing at least.

"Dipper, what's wrong?" Mabels head popped out of the kitchen doorway. She looked shocked when she saw me dragging Bill down the hall.

"He's okay, he just passed out." I said as I dragged him to my room and laid him in my bed.

"Do you need my help or anything?" Mabel asked, looking at Bill with a worried expression.

"I think it's fine. Thanks Mabel." I smiled at her. She winked back and walked off. I turned back to Bill and felt his forehead for a fever but he seemed fine. He was breathing steadily through his mouth which was good. I sighed in relief and examined him briefely to make sure he really wasn't sick or anything. There wasn't any blood on his clothing so he wasn't hurt. As I was searching Bill's eyelids began to twitch. He opened them slowly and looked at me.

"I-Is it morning already!?" He gasped, sitting up quickly. He clicked his fingers to change his outfit but he ended up changing into pyjamas. "W-Wait.." He looked at his clothes with a confused expression. He clicked his fingers again but then only his shirt disappeared and in its place was just a bowtie around his neck. "What the-"

"It's not morning. You just passed out on my doorstep and I dragged you to my room, take it easy." I frowned, easing him back down into the bed and taking his tie off so he didn't choke or something. "What happened?" I asked, placing the tie on my bedside table.

He looked away and mumbled, "How am I supposed to know?"

"You obviously do know. Where do you go every afternoon after work, because you obviously aren't working all night." I continued to question.