Chapter 28 - Suspicious Letters

I twiddled my fingers nervously as I sat on the couch waiting for Mabel to get home. Bill was at work, so I was left alone to think by myself. How would she react? Was she going to get mad? Cry? God, I don't know how to deal with this stuff. I heard shuffling at the front door causing me to shoot up and race to the door, sweat starting to form on my forehead. I swung the door open and saw Mabel looking at me holding a large suitcase.

"Hey Dip-" She begun to say but I stopped her as I hugged her tightly. She faltered slightly, then hugged back with a chuckle. "Hey, what's this?" She asked.

"I missed you, asshole." I mumbled.

"I was gone for like a week or something calm down man." She scoffed, patting my back.

I pulled away and squinted my eyes at her painfully. "Why didn't you tell me about Waddles...?" I asked quietly. Her expression softened a bit as she sighed.

"I know I should've told you to avoid all the fighting between us but I just didn't really wanna talk about it... I'm sorry." She sighed.

"It's okay, I probably should've noticed anyway.." I mumbled.

"It doesn't matter anymore, it's in the past. I'm okay now." She smiled.

"That's good." I smiled back, taking her suitcase inside to her room. She started giggling behind me. "What?" I asked, putting her suitcase down and frowning.

"I can just imagine how you reacted when you found out. You were probably all like 'AHH! WHERE'S THE DAMN PIG?!'" She laughed, imitating me.

"It was more like, 'WHERE'S THE PIG HOLY SHIT I HAD ONE JOB AND I SCREWED IT UP JESUS CHRIST SHE'S GUNNA KILL ME.'" I acted dramatically and stupidly, causing her to burst out in more laughter.

"Great job, bro!" She wiped a tear from her eye, trying to calm herself from the laughter.

I smiled at her, watching her as she laughed. Just like old times. I was so glad she was back to her normal, fun-loving self. She calmed down and noticed I was staring at her. She rolled her eyes and smiled back, then her eyes seemed to grow distant as she looked at something with squinted eyes behind me.

"What's that?" She asked, walking past me to the wall. I turned around, confused at the sudden change in atmosphere and saw a note stuck to the wall. Mabel peeled it off and read it aloud.

"Beware, he isn't what he seems. I'll save you." She read with a confused expression.

"What?" I laughed. "Oh, I'll save you my princess~!" I mimicked in a high pitched noise, causing Mabel to giggle.

"Shutup, idiot. But seriously, what is this? Did you put this here?" She asked. "This is some stupid excuse for a practical joke."

"No, it wasn't me. I'm the master of practical jokes, I could do much better." I scoffed, looking away.

"You? Master of practical jokes? Sorry bro-bro, but I take that title." She smirked, crossing her arms.

"Was that a challenge?" I looked at her cheekily.

"You're on." She stuck her tongue out at me.

"I'm home." A voice yawned from the front door. Mabel grabbed me and pulled me close.

"Let's scare him." She whispered.

"Alright." I smirked. We hid behind Mabel's door, waiting for our prey to approach.

We heard footsteps outside the door. Mabel mouthed our countdown.

1..

2..