Chapter 6- Shopping Spree

(Edited)

The next day I woke up bright and early with a smile on my face. I had this feeling that something was going to happen soon, which would help me with this predicament I was going through in my life. I decided to make some breakfast for myself before I seize this beautiful day. Wow, I was definitely feeling optimistic.

 I was currently blow-drying my hair after a nice warm shower, when Sally walked in. “When did you get home last night?” she asked curiously.

“Late,” I simply stated.

“Yeah, what time?” she asked, exasperated.

“Erm, I think it was midnight,” I said while I ran my fingers through my hair.

“MIDNIGHT?!?! Were you with someone?” she asked, shocked.

I rolled my eyes, “No I wasn't, I went for a walk and then after that, I just went to my mother's place,” I stated as I pulled my hair into a messy bun. Seeing my mother yesterday, exploded all the emotions I tried hard not to show for the last few months. I broke down in tears as I explained the situation to my mother and how depressed and miserable I felt. I already had hope filtering through my body but my mother's encouraging words helped me to see the path I needed to take.

“Oh okay, I'm sorry I got really worried while waiting for you. I don't know I just drifted off,” she said lamely.

I smiled at her, “I'm sorry for not getting in touch with you.”

“Anyway, what are you doing up so early?” Sally asked.

“I made my mind up; I'm going to sort my miserable life out.” I said honestly.

“What do you mean?” she asked, confused.

“I'm going to pursue the career I’ve always wanted.”

She shrieked in happiness as she gave me a hug, “I was waiting almost forever for you to follow your dreams.”

I smiled at her widely, “Are you free today?” I asked.

“Yes, got the whole day to myself,” she announced, proudly.

I couldn't help but giggle, “Great! Would you be interested in shopping? I’m thinking of buying some new clothes. I have items I bought a couple of years ago so I think I need an update in that compartment.”

“OMG, YES!! I have been waiting for this moment for forever,” she said excitedly as she jumped in joy.

“You're always waiting forever for everything,” I mumbled which earned me a slap on the back of my head.

“Ouch,” I said while rubbing the spot she slapped me.

“Serves you right,” she said narrowing her eyes at me, “Anyway I'm going to get ready for our girl’s day out,” she said happily. 

****

“Myra, will you come out?” Sally asked, frustrated.

“No!” I whined.

“Why not?” she asked annoyed.

“I wanted a whole new wardrobe as a metaphor of my way to move forward, not these skimpy clothes that make me look like a hooker,” I said irritated.

“Come out.”

 “I hate you!” I mumbled as I drew the curtains away to reveal myself to Sally. I tugged my dress down to try to cover myself more.

“Omg that looks so nice.” Sally whistled. 

“I don't think so, I can't even breathe or move in this dress,” I complained.

“Fine, try this on.” She handed me another dress.

I closed the curtains and quickly changed into the other dress, starting to feel more comfortable. Yep, this is more like it. I walked out of the changing room with ease as I showed her the dark purple dress that fell a bit below my knees. I looked at myself in the mirror, “This is more like it,” I said as I grinned to myself. She smirked back agreeing with me.

I fell back on the sofa feeling relaxed within moments. The torturous four hour shopping trip has left me with aching legs and a low bank balance. I honestly don't mind shopping, but Sally just gets a bit hyped up and takes control of everything. I close my eyes, letting myself relax as I shift in a comfortable position on the sofa. Just as I thought I could unwind, Sally came in, “Here you go.” I slowly and lazily opened my eyes to see Sally handing me a cold cola drink, I took it from her and sipped it, my stomach letting the cool temperature cool my warm skin. I lazily closed my eyes again, wanting to sleep, but I guess Sally couldn't sense my tiredness as she excitedly talked about hitting the nightlife.

“Honestly? Tonight?” I asked groggily.

“Yes tonight.” She talked excitedly.

I groaned.

“Come on Myra, when was the last time we went out? It's been ages,” she tried to change my mind.

“We went out just like...” I looked at the time on my mobile, “... 5 minutes ago.”

Sally rolled her eyes and huffed at me, “You know what I mean, the last time we went clubbing was after we graduated and that was months ago.”

“Can't, I’m staying home and snuggling in my bed while you go live your night.” I answered innocently.

“No!” She replied as she threw a cushion at me which hit me in the face.

“But I'm so tired.” I whined as I used the cushion to rest my head.

“Myra, I do not care, you are coming out with me tonight and I am not taking no for an answer.” she narrowed her eyes at me.

I tried to talk her out of it, but before I could muster up a word, she cut me off, “If you say another word, I will ring your mother and trust me she will agree with me and you know it.” she said, proud of herself for bringing my mother in, so she could win this little argument.

 I narrowed my eyes at her, “Fine,” I said, defeated and made my way to my solitary room where no one could annoy me.  I fell on my bed and tried to sleep for a couple of hours so I could regain some strength before hitting the club.