Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I haven't given much thought to why I decided to move in with my dad. I guess you can say to give my mom and her new husband some alone time and not be a burden when my mom wanted to travel around the world with her new and too young husband.

"You sure you want to go through with this honey," my overly emotion mother asked me for the hundredth time with pleading eyes.

"Yes Mom I'm sure I want to go through with this. Besides I think it's a perfect time for me to spend some quality time with Dad." I tried to sound excited, but the excitement quickly faltered by the end of the sentence. Thank God my mom was too emotion to notice.

"Okay. Well if you change your mind dear, you're more than welcome to come back." After maybe the hundredth hug, my mother squeezed me one last time. "Send my greetings to your father."

I turned my head to the man standing behind my mother. He wasn't looking at me nor was he making an attempt to come to me, so I went to him. I lightly placed one hand on his arm and the other lifting his chin slightly up enough so that he was looking at me. "Nate, I'm s-" Nathan's lips met mine before I could finish my apology. He kissed me with so much passion and force I felt like I was going to change my mind that second from leaving him. Before I could think the thought through, he pulled away.

"No more apologizing." He murmured while resting his forehead on mine. "I love you, Layal and I'm going to miss you so much. Don't you forget that." He pulled away a little to kiss my forehead and gave me one last hug.

"I love you too, Nate." I felt the tears run down my cheek without permission. He released me from our tight embrace after the lady announced the last call to Los Angeles. He wiped my tears and kissed me one last time, while forcing a small smile on his sweet lips.

"Call me as soon as you land." He said before releasing me completely.

I nodded, not trusting my voice. I felt so empty without Nathan's touch. Why did I even decide to go through with this bogus plan anyway? Ugh, no second thinking Layal, just do it.

I grabbed my carry on bag to head towards the plane. I handed the lady my ticket and looked over my shoulder to give my mom and Nathan one last forced smile and wave before I boarded the plane towards California.

It was about a two hour flight from Houston to Los Angeles plus another hour drive to the current city my father is living at of Kingman City, a city that is half the population of Los Angeles. Not too large and not too small. Kingman City was located on the outskirts of Los Angeles, closer to the woods than the ocean, which is a slight bummer considering the fact that California beaches is what I loved the most there.

The last time I was in California was when I was eleven years old. I use to come every summer but I stopped coming due to the fact that I had spent more time with my dad's bodyguard and girlfriends than my dad himself. I wonder who was his girlfriend now...

The sun was beginning to set just as the plane landed at LAX. I was greeted upon a tall, lean, muscular man in a sheik suit holding up a piece of paper with my name written on it. Surprise, surprise my dad was a no show. I sighed and walked up to the man holding the paper with my name on it. When I got closer to him I noticed my three big luggages next to him. I half smiled when I noticed who it was.

"Eric! Is that you?" I squinted.

"Layal you've grown so much!" He hugged me and picked me up to spin me around in a warm welcome. Eric was my driver and bodyguard whenever I would visit my dad in the summer. I preferred him over my dad's fake girlfriends that would only suck up to me so they can stay around longer to spend my father's money. Eric would always keep me company and take me to the park or wherever I wanted to go or do. He was always the one there.