Chapter 21

Chapter 21

*Layal*

I've been here for less than a month and I've encountered experiences no one in their right mind would think would happen in the real world. I thought stuff like this happened in movies or shows.

I remember watching Twilight my sophomore year and wishing I was a Bella in real life. Not only that, but I thought it would be like a fairy tale to have the person you truly and deeply care for to be from the world of fan fiction. Jumping at the opportunity to feel that fairy tale with Nathan, at the end it went all down to shit.

It's gotten me into problems with wolves. Being the future Luna of Shadow X pack is definitely nerve wrecking, but I'm not going to complain about the extra strength and enhance senses that come along with the role. Then again, I know I'm unconscious because I couldn't handle the fact that I just killed a person who was also a wolf, and I know that I can't faint every time that I do something along those lines.

There's always turning back. I don't have to get involved in any of this pack of wolves business. I can simply just move to the other side of the world and never look back. Start fresh and act like this past month never happened.

But it did.

This past month has shot me right through the chest no matter how much I would hate to admit it. There's no turning back. Hundreds of wolves are depending on me and though it may seem terrifying, it is, but it still is a motivation.

"I'll tell him," I managed to let out. My eyes were opening slowly and the light from above was not comforting. I rested on my arms and lifted my head up enough to take in Amy's worried expression, David's stiffness, and Jeremy's usual relaxed expression. "You guys need to relax." I proceeded to stand up but sat back down on the couch when my head felt really heavy.

"Layal, I don't think you should get up until you're fully in control of yourself." Amy sat next to me and lightly placed her hand on mine. "Besides Gabriel is talking to a few wolves in the woods about, well, you know." She said nervously.

"Right." I huffed and fell back into the couch. "And Dave there's not going to be a brawl or any ass kicking. Seriously, don't make me second think about telling Gabe. I'm gonna need all of you to help me convince Gabe that it's not worth putting the lives of other wolves at risk." I wanted Nathan to stop, but I didn't want him dead.

"I understand, but you have to see this through Gabriel's eyes," David simply said.

"Ugh," I huffed. "War is inevitable."

No one said anything.

I ran my hand through my hair. "I need to go home. I need some time to think."

"I'll take you home," Amy proceeded to get up, but I sat her back down.

"No, that's okay I think I'll walk." I grabbed my bag where I left it and made my way out of the pack house to the front yard where Gabriel's car was parked. I passed by it.

"Layal," Amy called after me, but I continued walking the way Gabe came from. I wasn't sure why I remember so clearly the way back home. Ever since I met Gabe I've been feeling physically and mentally stronger, as if I don't need to think about it and it'll come naturally.

It was a chilly night and I wasn't dressed in a way to keep me warm, so I picked up the pace. My mind was clouded and I wasn't sure where to go with everything that was going on. I hate to think that all this started because of me, but it's true.

"Surprised seeing you here," I heard someone say.

When I turned to the direction where the voice came, I almost jumped at the opportunity to snap his neck to end this whole thing. To end all the worries and possible brawl that will take place because of the disgusting individual in front of me.

"After what just happened a few hours ago, I'm surprised Gabriel let you out of his sight," he chuckled and stepped closer to me.

There were two figures standing on either side of him and I swear I could hear a few light breathing deep in the woods.

"Gabriel, my old pal," he began pacing back and forth casually with his hands in his pockets. He usually wore a suit and tie with slacks for no apparent reason. It was just his way of dressing even at such a young age. The day of Britney's party was probably the first time since a long time that I have seen him in something different. Most definitely it was his way of blending in with the high school crowd.

"He always was the reason why I was second best at everything." He shook his head and chuckled again, but this time his chuckle came out to be a bit terrifying. "Even when I thought I found the one, he took her away from me too."

"Where are you going at, Nathan?" I crossed my arms over my chest impatiently to try and stop my heart from pounding out of controllably.

"I really did love you, but when I saw Gabriel's pack mark on your seventeenth birthday I knew that you belonged to someone else." This time he continued his pace towards me. "Gabriel even took you away from me." He murmured and lightly stroke my cheek.

"Nate, I-,"

"Shh," he light placed his index finger on my lips. "You would have never been mine."

I grabbed his hand and moved it away from my lips. Squeezing it reassuringly and placing it back to his side, "we could have got passed this. We could have figured out a way to be together."

You know everyone has that one person in their life that they will forever have a soft spot for no matter how wrong they have done you. Even if they wanted to end your life, you would try to reason with yourself why they did what they did. When they come to you at such a vulnerable state, you would jump at the opportunity of comforting them. Letting them hear whatever you know that will make them feel better, even if it was something you knew would cause you pain later.

That's exactly how I felt about Nathan. I could only imagine how frustrating and heartbreaking it is for him to never be the best. He has always told me that his father was always bringing him down and he always tried his hardest to impress him, but it was never good enough. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. What we had was real before I turned seventeen and that was only a few months ago. He truly did love me, but I guess his motives changed once he figured out that I wasn't his mate.

"You will find your mate one day and you'll love her and cherish her better than you did for me." I smiled and lightly stroke his arm. "So please put an end to whatever you have planned against Gabriel and his pack. Gabriel had no choice in choosing his mate."

He smirked, "I can't do that."

He smashed his lips to mine and before I could even try to push him off, his lips were gone.

"What the fuck," Gabriel roared. "Layal, what is going on," he said with a hurt expression.

"It's not what it looks like. Let me explain," I reached out to hold his hand, but he snatched it away from me. "Gabe," I said as I felt the hurt racing to my chest. My eyes were beginning to get moistly and I felt a pair of arms wrap around me.

"Come on, let's get you home," I heard Eric say before pushing me out of the scene in the woods.

All I could think about on the way home was Gabriel's broken expression.

-------------------------------

Like what you read? Don't forget to hit the star!

<3