Chapter 11

Chapter 11

*Layal*

Mate? That's the second time I hear that word today.

"Mate?" Making sure there was a question at the end of the word.

He stiffened.

I pushed him away a little and sighed.

"We're going to be late for class."

He nodded and I sighed with disappointment when I noticed he wasn't going to explain.

He walked me to class, but was hesitant to leave. I smiled and he smiled back as if whatever debate was going on in his head had been solved.

Without saying a word, he turned on his heels and headed towards the end of the corridor.

The rest of the day went uneventful and quite boring actually, considering the fact that I haven't seen Amy since lunch and it was already last period.

Mr. Peters was already calling the class' attention. I looked up at him absentmindedly until I felt a pair of eyes gazing at me, knowing instantly where it was coming from.

A pair of warm brown eyes met me. I couldn't quite read his expression because his eyes were strongly capturing mine. I couldn't think and heat began to spread around my body following that tingly feeling I felt this morning. His eyes never once moved from mine.

After holding my eyes for what felt like ages, Gabriel smiled at me and I felt my cheeks beginning to flush even more. Feeling completely and utterly embarrassed by our sudden gaping, I looked down and heard a small chuckle come from the other side.

"Well, Mr. Black today's your day to recite your poem, since you've been constantly postponing it." Mr. Peters' said finally catching my attention by simply calling out Gabriel.

Mr. Peters took a quick look at me and smirked. "I'm sure you've been waiting for the perfect moment."

I heard shuffling from the other side of the room. I turned to look at Gabe's broad, firm back facing the class as he made his way to the front.

I looked down before he turned around. I didn't dare to look back up at him to be captured by his eyes again. I can feel a strong pull towards him, but there was still a part of me that wasn't ready to be fully pulled just yet.

Gabriel cleared his throat and paused. He sighed after a few moments and the words flowed out so eloquently I was in awe.

I couldn't keep my eyes pried down to my desk. I had to look at him. When I did, I was already in a trance by what he was saying.

I recognized that it was a poem by Edgar Allen Poe called 'Annabel Lee.' It was a romantic poem, yet sad at the same time. I remember my English teacher in Houston explaining the meaning behind the poem.

The speaker of the poem is remembering his long-lost love, Annabel Lee. The speaker knew Annabel Lee many years ago, when she was a girl, and they both lived in a kingdom by the sea. Even though they were only children, these two were really, seriously in love. So in love that even the angels in heaven noticed and were jealous.

Maybe that was a bad thing, because our speaker blames the angels for killing his girlfriend. Apparently a wind came down from the clouds, which made Annabel Lee sick and then eventually killed her. When this happened, her relatives came and took her away from the speaker, and shut her up in a tomb.

Our speaker wants us to know that his love for Annabel Lee wasn't just a teenage crush. A little thing like death isn't going to separate him from Annabel Lee. Not even angels or devils could do that. He still sees her everywhere, in his dreams and in the stars.