Chapter 20

Chapter 20

*Amy*

Luv, I got this wolf. Make sure Layal is okay. Jeremy sank his teeth into the murderous wolf confirming that he really got the wolf under control.

When I turned around to see Layal jump off the grey wolf's back and snap it in the process, I almost couldn't believe my eyes.

She literally just killed a wolf with her bare hands quicker than Jeremy and me and she's only a human! Something isn't adding up with her. This is the second time that she's fought off a wolf without a scratch. I mean don't get me wrong this was a good thing, but it was just bizarre to see a human kill a wolf that's supposed to be genetically stronger than her.

I noticed when Layal looked down at her hands with a shock expression and back at the dead wolf at her feet. She sank down on the ground rocking back and forth as her head was between her knees.

Gabriel ripped through the trees from the woods, taking in the sight before him. His eyes went wide with horror and instantly began making his way towards the unstable girl next to the dead grey wolf.

Nathan walked out of the woods. His reaction similar to Gabriel's, but shifted to rage. He turned back around, but not before glaring at me. I growled and he only smirked and ran back into the woods.

I don't think anyone noticed that Nathan just took a quick glance at his fail attempt and left the scene. The whole pack eventually began surrounding the clearing in front of the pack house as Gabriel picked up a now unconscious Layal and headed inside.

"Amy and Jeremy, follow me now," Gabriel commanded.

Jeremy picked up his torn shirt from where he shifted earlier and placed it in front of me. I grinned before picking it up with my mouth and heading back into the woods to shift back to my human form. Jeremy is too adorable for his own good. He hasn't yet been officially joined to the pack—thanks to Gabriel's stubbornness and trust issues, so we haven't been able to share our thoughts. But I already knew by his gesture that he didn't want any of the other male wolves to see me naked.

The shirt did enough to cover my breast and private areas. Though I had to tie the ripped parts and it showed too much skin for my liking, it was good enough to get me back into the pack house to put some real clothes on.

I walked out of the woods and Jeremy was instantly by my side. He wrapped his arm protectively around my waist and pulled me closer to him. My bare legs were brushing against his shorts as he sped walked towards the pack house. He probably slipped them on while I managed to put his ripped t-shirt on.

"I need some clothes," I managed to say after I took in how shaken up Layal looked even while she was unconscious.

Jeremy nodded, but Gabriel didn't move his gaze from Layal.

When I made it back down, in jeans and a cami, Gabriel hadn't moved from his spot and Jeremy stood by the door way that led to the kitchen. I quickly made my way back to Jeremy's side and wrapped my arm around his waist.

Gabriel sighed and stood up to sit at the end of the couch that Layal was resting on.

"What happened," Gabriel croaked. "She's not hurt. I don't see a single scratch on her, so why did I find her in the state she was in?"

He looked up and I could tell that he was desperate for answers. It was true Layal didn't have a single scratch on her. Not even a single hair out of place.

David entered the living room and took the seat on the other side, directly facing Gabriel.

"What happened," he repeated Gabriel's question.