Chapter 4 - Charades

Chapter Glossary

In Korean: "annyeonhaseyo" - hello, father
In Spanish: "mamá" - mum
In Korean: "kamsahamnida, abeoji" - thank you, father
In Spanish: "conchesumadre" - motherfucker
In Spanish: "papá" - dad

❄︎❄︎❄︎

"Annyeonghaseyo, abeoji!" I greet in Korean when I enter Nora's father's restaurant.

Because we know each other since we were kids, and as in our respective houses we spoke out mother tongues, Nora learnt Spanish and I did Korean, and as we acquired these languages when we were still kids, our accents are quite good. Speaking three languages since being a kid has helped me enormously to learn others like Chinese, that comes in handy for business.

"Blanca-yah!" He greets me back, a which smile on his face. "Nora-yah, you've are here. I was waiting."

Just like my father considered Nora his second child, sponsoring her with her studies and everything she needed, Nora's father also sees me as his daughter that's why it doesn't even feel weird to call him father, aside from the fact that it's part of his culture and language. It's because he's here and I feel at home with this family, my father's loss was more bearable to handle and why I don't need to go back with mamá, because I have a family I'm closer to right here.

"It's good to see you. The usual?" He asks, the smile still on his lips as he approaches us to receive us.

"Yes, please! I've been craving bibimbap and your kimchi. Well, all your food to be honest," I laugh with my confession, feeling just a bit embarrassed.

"Fine then, pick a table and I'll personally give you the best."

I can't emphasise enough how happy that makes me, the prospect of having abeoji's food always fills my heart with happiness.

With Nora we go to the normal table and get comfortable. A waiter soon greets us because of course everyone knows us here, and hands us a big jar with ice tea. After a while, abeoji comes with food for us, not just bibimbap but also miso soup, and kimchi pancakes, just because he knows how much I love those. Once the big bowl is in front of us, Nora is in charge of mixing it all and I can feel myself salivating for what's yet to come.

"Our girls need to eat a lot," abeoji says the moment the food is in front of us, his big and warm smile always present.

"I certainly need it," I comment, although even if I weren't feeling tired of Laura's bullshit, I would still need this food.

"Our Blanca, always with a good appetite. When will my Nora eat as eagerly as you?" He gives his daughter a sideways look that doesn't faze my best friend. She's so used to that. I think the fact she doesn't eat everything his father makes is because she's used to his skills and masterpieces, she can eat them whenever, everyday. I don't know really, it's just a theory.

"Eat loads, I'll leave to keep making the orders. I'll see you at home, Nora-yah."

"Kamsahamnida, abeoji!" We both say at the same time before we can start eating.

The food, per usual, is delicious and we enjoy it. All the while, I rant to Nora about the people I had to deal with in the charity.

"I really wouldn't mind socialising with them and all the networking I have to do, but when most of them have so much botox they can't even smile, it becomes annoying." Nora only chuckles at my words, it's something I've said a few times already. "By the way, Laura said I'm going to a new charity soon, something different. I wonder if Dean sent the info already."