Chapter 39 - Statements

Not broken, just bruised. My ribs. They still hurt like hell and it's incredibly uncomfortable to move, but I should be grateful. Despite drowning and technically being dead for a few seconds, I came out of this incident with far less damage than from the car accident. I don't need to wear a cast or brace or anything, just rest. The concussion is being observed and if the pain is too much, I can always request for more painkillers.

I don't.

The pain keeps me angry, and anger keeps me focused.

We had a plan to go back for my birthday, just to fuck things up big time for Laura as I wouldn't be her responsibility anymore. But we can't wait that long anymore. It is evident Laura is desperate to get rid of me, and she's most definitely making sure I don't survive. I fear she won't send Dean or come herself to get rid of me this time. I can't give her a third chance.

In my country we always say, la tercera es la vencida. The third time is the final one. Kind of like the baseball analogy of the three strikes, but instead of being out it means you always succeed at the third try. And like hell I'm giving her that chance. I know I've been lucky for surviving already two times, but I don't want to test my luck any further.

I am a witness now, an although I know I can't trust the police because Laura can easily buy their higher-ups, I can still tell the world who tried to kill me. Even if I have no concrete evidence, some people will listen to me, to the heiress who came back from the dead. I'll put pressure on Laura, I'll taint her name, I'll make people doubt her even if I can't get the police to make justice.

However, police do show at my door the next morning after I woke up, and I'm surprised to actually see a familiar face. The two police that come are a young man and a stern looking woman. The man I've seen before, at the bar for New Year's Eve. The one who I thought was hitting on me.

"Good morning," they greet together, not in sync like one would expect, but more like overlapping each other. "We come to get your statement," the woman immediately says.

"We meet again," the man adds, tilting his head almost imperceptibly. "So you really are Blanca Escobar."

"If Laura sent you I'm going to scream so hard... my friends and the doctors won't let you harm me," I threaten, although I'm not sure.

Can Laura buy the local policemen to kill me? Is that even possible? Should I be scared of every person I don't know? I don't think I can handle this paranoia.

"Who is Laura?" the woman asks, frowning and taking a seat to start writing. I guess my statement.

"My stepmother. She was the one who did this to me. Twice," I explain, still watching them carefully. "I've been hiding in this town after the first accident, but she found me and came for me. I saw her, she beat me and pushed me off the river. It was her."

The two police officers look at each other, I notice almost imperceptible nods as if they are confirming something.

"Was your stepmother alone? And how do you know your first accident was orchestrated by her?" the man asks while the woman keeps writing.

"Dean was the one driving back then, and when I woke up that time, before the car crashed and went down hill, I was all alone there. He had left the car prior that," I explain what I haven't told any other authority.

"His statement for that accident affirms you were stopped, he was attacked and the attackers sent the car to the edge. He had the medical confirmation of all his injuries," the policeman refutes, raising his eyebrow as if testing me.