Chapter 43 - First Round

Things are going to be so hard, having to clear up all what has happened and Laura's involvement. No mater what, there's a fight ahead and if there's a way to simplify things, I'm going to take it. Not because of Laura, I have no sympathy for her whatsoever, but for everyone else who is involved.

This is why we have decided—no, I have decided to give her a chance to turn herself in. Just one chance, if she doesn't take it, then we'll just have to proceed how it's supposed to be. Even if she has the police wrapped around her little finger, we'll find a way to make justice and with her, we'll take everyone else down. We'll cleanse BEEB Group even if it means I have to start all over again.

"Are you ready?" Nora asks me before we get out of the car, Louise has already parked at the company's parking lot. It's time I show myself and let everyone know I'm not dead, that I've come back to claim what's mine.

It's bloody terrifying. After being hidden for so long, my hands and legs are shaking before I get out of the car.

"Not nearly," I reply, my mind spinning but aware this is it. I have to do it. "Let's go."

Louise leaves the car first and then Nora follows. We've dressed formally because regardless of what Laura decides, I'll still show my face and I have to look like the heiress I am, not a lost child anymore.

Will isn't with us because although he wanted to come, Louise advised otherwise, saying it's better if he contacts his friends to tell them what's coming and to show support to clear their name. Reluctantly, he agreed. I wish he could've been here too, but I have Nora by my side and if I have her, I'm okay.

We walk towards the lift and head to the floor where Laura's office is. Well, technically speaking, it's my office. I'll reclaim it today.

As the numbers change one after the other, my heart takes off and my breath hitches in my throat, scared and anxious, so I'm practically abusing Nora's hand. Instead of complaining, she just squeezes back, as tightly, reminding me she's here, always with me.

The doors open and we step outside the lift, into the hall with many doors to different offices. At the end of the hall, the largest doors with basically a hall to receive people lead to Laura's office.

My office.

I square my shoulders and take a deep breath before taking the first step towards it, still holding Nora's hand, Louise following us behind.

Outside her office, in his desk, Dean is working on his computer until he spots us and his face loses all colour at the same time his jaw hits the floor. He stumbles to his feet, mumbling but no coherent word comes out of his lips. And at the sight of this man who left me alone in a car to die, and then kidnaped me, rage fills my body. The anxiety steps to the background and I can only feel anger when I look at him, who tried to kill me twice per Laura's orders.

This man has to pay.

"Hello, Dean," I greet with a smile but my tone is bitter and sarcastic. My voice carries the promise of revenge and he knows it, it's evident in the way he gulps and stumbles back, hitting the chair with the back of thighs and still gaping like fish out of water.

"It's not... not possible," he finally mumbles and I smirk, full of resentment.

Ruthless.

"What? That I survived two murder attempts? Well, I guess you can say I'm the lucky one," I continue, the smile on my face dying so I end up glaring at him. "If it's of any comfort, I almost die the first time. The internal bleedings were really messy and I had to get surgery. Moreover, I did die for a few seconds the second time so I guess you aren't that bad at your assassin job."