Chapter 9 - The Dream House

Clarisse drives a big and old van, one that was probably fashionable and cool back in the seventies and that today is labeled as vintage. The engine is loud and distracting, but she keeps the stereo on, trying to drown the sound coming from the engine. It's mostly classical or old ballads I don't know, but that are soothing enough for me to relax.

"Instead of telling you how everyone is, I rather let you figure that out. You need to meet them in person and get your own impressions," Clarisse mentions as she drives us to the Dream House.

I've finally been cleared up, and although I'm still in casts and clumsily move around, I'm just glad to be out of the hospital. It's not that I hate them, but it'd hard to keep my mind busy in a place like that, and with all that time just lying in a bed, my head can only go over and over all the possibilities and unanswered questions.

In the Dream House I will, at least, be busy trying to memorise name, getting to know the kids and helping in any way I can. I don't want to be a burden and although I've never done anything for myself, I want to help. I don't want Clarisse to regret ever helping me, I want her to be grateful with my presence there. It's the least I can do for her.

Besides, Nora will join us soon. I last heard that she will go to the local police first, in behalf of Louise, with a lawyer, to explain what's happening and what, with advice and control from the investigation team in London, has been decided in order to keep me safe. Because of discretion, only few people can know about this, but someone in the police station has to be informed to ensure my safety in town.

The Dream House is quite away from the town centre, more into the countryside and it's big. Clarisse has told me this isn't a government institutions and it's run by the town church, the other orphanage is run by the government. All the cases in the Dream House are through the church, girls that got pregnant being too young and not prepared to have a child, so they gave it to the church where they could take care of the infant. All the kids have been given up by their parents, contrary to the other orphanage were some kids have just been taken away from their homes due to the conditions in which they live. As in the Dream House they don't receive much help, they try to keep the kids in the best conditions possible, so they try to be self-sufficient, hence why they have their little farm.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing there, maybe milking the cows? Of course, once I'm recovered and can move around freely. In six weeks I get my casts removed, so until then I'll have to manage. I'm sure I'll find something, maybe I can help with the management of the Dream House. I certainly have experience and training in that.

My thoughts are focused on that as the landscape blurs outside the window. It's mostly green, trees and bushes everywhere, flowers and other kind of plants. I can't differentiate one from the other, they are just green and pretty for me. I only notice a difference when the space become more open and we enter a property. It's big and there's one old and big house in the middle, we are driving towards it. There are other constructions, like a barn and a greenhouse, but I'm sure all that it's all meant for the animals and vegetables they grow here.

"We're here," Clarisse announces. "This will be your home until you can go back, Blanca. And don't worry, everyone will be nice to you."

I nod my head and try to smile back, but we don't have much time, soon I can hear screams and when I look at the big house, I can see three kids running full speed towards us. Clarisse chuckles next to me before getting out, kneeling and opening her arms to let the kids run to her. None of them can be older than five and they seem to adore the lady.

I feel nervous for a reason, afraid of how these kids will react to me and how my life for the following months will be. The whole situation makes me anxious, but seeing some of the kids there makes it all more real to me. I'm actually here, I'll be living in this house with all these kids, hiding from the people who want to harm me.