Chapter 16

Chapter 16

(*Yesenia's POV*)

I cry myself to sleep that night, only to have a nightmare about Rayne's death. I saw her in dark room tied to a chair. Drew was dabbing something on a towel. As she saw him get closer to her she started to scream my name. She screamed my name over and over, louder each time. Then drew placed the rag over her mouth and nose. She stared to get sleepy but she still managed a few silent "Yesenia help". I tried to get close to her, to save her but my feet wouldn't move. I woke up with drops of cold sweat running down my face and chest. I got up and went to the kitchen for a drink of water. When I got there I saw the last person I thought would be awake, Leo. He saw me and smiled a little. "Can't sleep sweetie?" I tried my best to smile and went to the fridge.

"Nope, I just had a nightmare."

"Was it about your friend?" I close the door and walk over to the table.

"Yes. I can't help but feel responsible. I told her I'd always be there to protect her and I failed." He stood up and put an arm around me. I stood up and gave him a hug. I needed a father and he was trying his best to make up for what he'd done. I needed him and this time he was there. He embraced me and kissed the top of my head.

"It wasn't your fault. You didn't know he was there or how he did it. You did the right thing by going to the police. I'm proud of you for doing the right thing." I smiled and smelled his sent of Old Spice. It felt good to be in his arms,in my father's arms. For awhile I forgot about all the bad he'd done and felt like I was finally beginning to forgive him. We pulled apart and I went back to my room. I tried to sleep again when ,my phone began to vibrate. I picked it up and it was a text from Demi.

From:Demi❤

Hey!😊 I hope I didn't wake you up. I just wanted to tell you that I'm going back to Dallas in a couple of days for auditions! I'm happy that I'll get to see you again!😉 lol jk. Good night....or good morning, whichever one applies! XoXo

I smiled and decided to reply tomorrow. I went to sleep on a good note thanks to Demi. I woke up and decided to go to school. It would distract me from my thoughts for awhile and I had to go tutor Mads after school. Her mom understood yesterday but I need to keep my job. As I was pulling in to the senior parking lot and into my space I saw the words " killer" graffitied on It. Luis,who sat in the passenger's seat, put a hand on my shoulder. "They don't know the whole story Yesi. They're wrong." I parked and went to my locker. People stared at me as I walked down the halls; silently murmuring to each other. At my locker a girl approached me and asked why I helped kill her.

"I thought I was helping her."

"If Drew said she'd kill her if she told then why would you go tell the police. You caused her death and I hope you feel guilty. Rayne was a great girl." Then she walked away without letting me explain myself. My eyes watered but I wasn't going to cry. Not here. Not where drew's other friends can text him and tell him that he made me cry. I won't give him that extra satisfaction. I get up and walk into homeroom. Everyone in the room,including the teacher Ms.white, stares at me as I take a seat. The rest of the day goes by slowly. I had stuff thrown at me, I was shoved up against lockers, and I was bitched at throughout the day. When the final bell rang Ms.DLG asked if I was okay. "I'm breathing",was all I said. I drive over to Madison's house and park in my usual space. I knock on the door and see Demi open the door with a gigantic smile on her face.

"YESENIA!" She pulls me in for a tight hug and I inhale that sweet vanilla sent. I hug her back and for the first time in two days I actually feel alive.

We both go inside and sit down on the couch. I wondered if her family told her what happened. Did she think it was my fault too? "So a lot has happened since I left....." ,she obviously meant Rayne's death, "do you wanna talk about it?" I felt my eyes begin to water and my mouth go dry. If I talked about it I would fall apart again. So I just shook my head no. "Okay then, what would you like to do?" I took a deep breath and exhaled loudly.

"I came here to tutor Mads. Your mom pays me to help her out with math and science. It's not that I don't want to hang out you Demi it's just that I need to do my job." She looked sad at first but then understood that I had a point.

"You're right,sorry. It's just that I've missed you and I really want to get to know you more before I leave."

"We'll have plenty of time to do that Demi."

"I don't know how long auditions in Dallas will be. Last time you said you'd text me and stuff but you rarely did......To be honest I kinda felt like you didn't want to talk to me and I was just annoying you."

"I'm sorry Demi it's just that a lot was happening. Of course I wanted to talk to you Demi, really I did, you weren't annoying me at all. Please don't think that way." I was really surprised Demi felt that way. She looked like she wasn't really buying it so I held her cheek in my hand and looked into her eyes. "Demi do you remember how I feel about you?"

"Yeah but you said you wanted to be friends."

"Because you aren't bi Demi. Anyways, I still feel that way about you. If I thought you were annoying then why would I still have a huge crush on you?" she smiled and pulled my hand down. She intertwined our fingers together and I could feel my palms beginning to sweat.

"You still have a big crush on me?" She bit her lip.

"I never stopped",I say as i smile at her. She smiles back at me and leans in close. Oh no, not this again. I had to pull away from her and find Madi. That would be the right thing to do. She isn't bi Yesenia you know that. She's just curious and when her curiosity is over you'll end up hurt. My mind wanted me to pull away but my body started to lean in too. "Demi we shouldn't",I say as my lips are only inches from hers.

"But we both want to." I could feel her hot breath on my lips as she said it. She wanted to kiss me?

"It doesn't mean we sh-", I couldn't finish what I was about to say because Demi's lips crashed on mine. Her lips felt smooth and tasted like strawberries. Her breath was hot and her tongue slid its way into my mouth. As our kiss deepened Demi positioned herself of my lap and pushed me back against the couch. My brain kept telling me to break off the kiss but my brain was no longer in charge of me. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer to me. She smiled a little and wrapped her hands around my neck.

"What are you guys doing?!?!" We both looked up to see Madi at the foot of the stairs staring at us extremely confused.