Chapter 23

My dad didn't come in for the rest of the day so I couldn't talk to him but the next morning he was there when I woke up. "Hi sweetie, how are you feeling?"

"Better I guess." Leo came over and sat at the foot of my bed.

"Alright well i thought we should talk about treatment centers. The one your mother and I decided is here in Los Angeles. It's very nice and we can visit you everyday."

"We?"

"I talked with my bosses and they've transferred me here. Linda and the kids are staying back in Dallas until the school year is over. I want to help you through this tough time Yesenia. I will be here for you now." My eyes watered and I felt a few hot tears escape my eyes. Leo stood up and gave me a hug. "I love you sweetie." In his arms I prayed that what Demi said was a lie. I had a dad, a real dad. The thing I've secretly wanted the most all my life, a father to tell me he loved me and that he'd be there for me. I finally had that why couldn't I keep it? I pulled away from him and wiped away some tears. I had to do it or else I never would.

"Dad?"

"Yeah honey?"

"Can I ask you something?" He nodded.

"Anything sweetie."

"Okay well it has to do with that letter you sent me." He cleared his throat and told me to go on. "Well Demi came in the first day I was here and we talked about it. She said she didn't send that letter, the one she sent was completely different. Then she told me that when I was in the hospital back in Dallas she did come to visit but you didn't let her in. She also said you told her to stay away from me...Is that true?" He sat in silence and that was enough of a confirmation. I didn't try to hold back the tears and felt each of them burn my cheek. "Why? Just tell me why?"

"That girl is a bad influence Yesenia. She's nothing but trouble and I know she'll only cause you heart break in the end. I'm just trying to protect you."

"By writing me a fake letter that led me to try cocaine for the first time! That letter made me cut dad, it made me feel worthless. Which by the way is something Demi has never made me feel until you made her stay away."

"You'll thank me one day for protecting you from a celebrity. They're bad news Yesenia. Besides aren't you happy with Wesley? He's a great guy that truly loves you unlike that girl who can't even decide if she actually has feelings for you or not."

"That girl has a name! Her name is Demetria Devonne Lovato and she told me she loved me! She knows that she loves me, she's sure of it now."

"For how long? Or how long will it be before her interest in you disappears? Let me paint you a picture Yesenia. Let's say you and Demi have a great relationship and decide to go public with it. What if her fans don't like you? What will you do when they discover that you are a drug addict and a cutter, and you purged? Do you honestly think that they will think that you're worthy of her? At first she won't believe anything they say but when album sales go down she will start believing what everyone will say about you. Then you'll be heart broken." I shook my head in denial. Demi wouldn't do that she loves me, she said it herself. "I'm just trying to protect and save you from it all."

"Leave.NOW," I shouted at him. A few tears slid down his face as he walked toward the door. He turned around at the door.

"I'm just doing this because I love you Yesenia." Then he left me alone in my room to cry. I just wanted to disappear, to die. Why was my life so complicated? I cried for hours and that night I cried myself to sleep. I didn't want to eat anything or see anybody,not even Wes. I got released the day after my talk with Leo. My mom drove me home so I could pack everything because that same day I was supposed to go to my treatment center. Wes came by and my mom let him in. I heard a knock on my door followed by Wes poking his head in.