Chapter 9

Chapter 9

It's Sunday. I just woke up and I'm kind of groggy. I sat up and yawned. I looked at my desk and saw a note. It was from my dad. It said 'I had to go in to work today, Sweetie. I won't be back until later on tonight. You might even be asleep by then so don't wait up. Make sure to make yourself some dinner, shower and go to sleep early. Bye honey'. I sighed and put the note away. I walk out of my room, stretching, and go to the bathroom. I fix my hair and wash my face. I walk back out and grab my phone before going downstairs and getting cereal. As I'm eating my phone rings and I answer. It was Ian. He doesn't usually call me or text me. When he does he's just trying to scare me. I talk to him anyways and say, "Hello?"

~Elizabeth? Hey...we need to talk~ he said. He didn't sound like he was teasing. He sounded serious which concerned me. "Okay," I said.

~In person, Elizabeth~ he said flatly. I gulped and agreed for him to come over for a while. He hung up and I sat at the island counter in the kitchen, finishing up my cereal. When I'm done I put away my dish and go upstairs to change into some decent clothes for Ian's arrival. I put on a t-shirt and some jeans and go back downstairs. After a couple of minutes I hear the doorbell and jog up to the door. I open it and Ian is there with a blank face. I invite him in and he takes a seat on the couch. I offer him something to drink but he declines and I sit next to him. "So...," I started, "what is it you needed to talk to me about?" He scoffs and motions to my wrists. It's about my marks again. I sigh and ask, "What about them?" His expression turned stern and he said, "Look, those aren't regular marks. They're something else. Something dangerous."

"Are you trying to scare me again because if you are I don't think I want you here any longer-."

"Elizabeth," he said, "I'm. Not. Playing. Games." I saw in his eyes that he was truly concerned and serious about this. I've never seen him like this. What could these marks possibly do to make him act this way? I look him in the eyes and say, "What are they? You know don't you?" He looks down at his hands and shifts in his spot. Ian said, "I'm warning you. Wherever you go, whenever you go and whoever you're with...beware of him." I give him a puzzled look and ask, "Who is him?" There was a sudden silence. It was like the world suddenly just stopped just for this moment. I heard no cars, no people outside, no wind or birds, nothing whatsoever. It was a bit unsettling. I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted Ian to speak so badly because of how quiet this moment was right now. Once I saw his lips part I sighed in relief. He spoke in a certain tone, it was firm but soft like he was afraid someone, or something would hear him. He said in that tone..., "The Operator."

Even though it was just two simple words it made me breathe in again and hold my nervousness in. This 'Operator' doesn't sound so good. I finally exhaled and said, "Who is The Operator?"

"If I told you, things might happen. You're safer not knowing," he said. I bite my lip and say, "How am I safer? From what exactly? Tell me."

"I can't," he said, "sorry Elizabeth. Just know that I wish I could tell you but I can't. I'd be putting your life at risk." I sit there looking down at my lap. I feel scared and confused. It's a horrible combination. I look up at him and say, "Who is he?"

He shook his head and said, "I said if I told you, you'd be in danger. Besides you wouldn't think I'm normal." I roll my eyes and say, "Please, I didn't think you were normal since the moment I first met you. What difference will this make?" He smiled for a second then said, "I know things no ordinary person knows. I know things that will bring people to pure insanity. I'm surprised I'm still mentally stable. So what I know, you can't know. But sometimes it takes a toll on me. It gets so bad that I have to tell someone. So that's why I spread scary rumors. To tell people what I know in a way where they think it isn't actually real or dangerous, just a little story to keep them up at night. And I want them to be scared, because in a way I'm warning them, fear is the reaction I want. Without fear there is no protection. Without fear we don't have strength. Without fear...there is no life. As much as we all hate it, we can't live without it. So it's not a part of life, fear IS life. But if anyone knew that my 'scary stories' are mostly real, this world would go into hysteria and it would never stop. So that's why I disguise these things as stories. Other people have told others about these things. They put them up online for all to see but people only think them to be fake but scary. I don't know if that was the intention but I've decided to do what they do and cover up what is most of the truth. No one else can ever know. So even though I'm putting my own life on the line like others out there I'm doing what's right and keeping the truth from you. Some of the stories I tell are fake, just to not draw suspicion. And some are real. But some will always be unknown. And even though at times I wish I knew what these things were...if its unknown to me then I'd gladly decline a chance to figure it out. Some things are better off left unsaid."