Chapter 14

Chapter 14

 I saw Ian again. He's doing all right. I talked to him most of the time because he couldn't talk behind the oxygen mask. Every time I wouldn't talk the room was filled with the beeping of the heart monitor and the constant wheezing from Ian's CPAP breathing machine. There were a lot of machines around him that I barely had any space to sit beside him. He was on dialysis for his damaged kidney. The sight of him hooked up to so many things was saddening to say the least. I could've prevented this. 

No you couldn't Elizabeth, what could you have done? You didn't know this would happen.

I sighed and held Ian's hand, careful not to touch the tubes connected to it. I squeezed it softly and he squeezed back but was too weak to put enough pressure. I let a tear fall. "Stay strong buddy," I said. He nodded slowly and his eyes started fluttering. I was getting scared that he was about to pass but the heart monitor begged to differ as it kept beeping normally. I'm guessing Ian was about ready to sleep again. I got up and leaned over to kiss his forehead. I walked out and saw my mom outside the door. I nodded and she hugged me quickly before going in to tend to Ian. I walked out of the hospital and saw a taxi out front. My mom must've called one for me. I got in and the driver drove me back home. After a while of silence we made it to my house. He told me that my mother already paid enough for me and so I just walked out saying thanks and good-bye. It was late and dark out. 

I walked up to my front door and unlocked it. Once I did I felt the warmth of the heater wash over me. It felt nice to be back home. I closed the door and went upstairs. I got some clothes and took a quick shower. I dried my hair and then went into my room to get to bed. I heard snoring on the way to my room meaning that dad was finally back home. I smiled a little and went into my room. I shut the door behind me and jumping into my bed, cuddling into the covers. I was quickly falling asleep when I heard my window open with a smooth, soft, scraping sound. I looked up and saw a figure with messy black hair and a white hoodie. I mumbled, "Jeff?" He seemed to jump a little and he looked at me. I smiled when I noticed that his hoodie...was not so white. 

I sat up and eyed him suspiciously. "Jeff...," I started, "what did you do?" He didn't tell me anything and just sat in the chair at my desk. I got up and said, "Jeff tell me what you did?" He hung his head and sighed. I crouched down in front of him and said, "Please, Jeff, tell me what happened. I'm getting worried." He looks up at me with that wide smile of his but I knew he wasn't happy. His eyes showed sadness and frustration. I looked at him sympathetically and said, "Jeff..." 

He suddenly lunges at me but instead of attacking he kisses me. He pulled away and breathed hard. I caressed his hair and he muttered, "Let's go to bed." I nodded and I got up. He did too but started taking off his hoodie. I got wide eyed. Was he gonna do what I think he was gonna do? "Jeff, what the hell are you doing," I squeaked. He looked at me and gave me a smug look. "What do you think I'm doing?" he says. I feel my face flush and say, "Well...I don't know...." He chuckled and teased, "I know what it is, you dirty girl." My face went extremely hot when he said those last two words and I threw myself back, covering myself with my blanket. I breathed heavily and I heard him chuckle. Then I felt him pull back the covers enough to see my face. He leans his head on mine and I smile. I turn to hug him then I realize he didn't even have his shirt on. "No!" I exclaimed and turned towards the wall. I heard him start laughing like crazy. "You know you want it Sunshine," he cackled. I shook my head and said, "Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope." He stopped laughing and said, "All right, I'll put my shirt back on." 

"You better," I muttered. He chuckled again and I heard the shuffling of his shirt. I didn't turn around until he showed proof that he had a shirt on. He jumped onto my bed and hugged me, nearly squishing me. I enjoyed the warmth he gave off. Jeff said softly, "That better?" I nodded and he said, "Good. Did you want to specify if I needed to wear pants too?" I went wide eyed and jumped off the bed. He laughed, "I'm kidding!"