Chapter 61

*SORRY IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO UPDATE. THIS CHAPTER DOESN'T HAVE MUCH IN IT ALTHOUGH I'M SURE IT'S LONG. ALSO, I'M GOING TO TRY TO PUT UP ANOTHER DRAWING AND HOPEFULLY IT WORKS. IT'S MINE, BY THE WAY AND I'M SUPER PROUD OF IT BECAUSE 1): I ACTUALLY COLORED IT 2): IT WAS DONE ON AN iPad and 3): I KNOW YOU GUYS WILL LIKE IT. :3 ENJOY THE CHAP, GUYS. STAY CREEPY, MY FRIENDS!~*

Chapter 61

"Just a couple more miles until we're out of Iowa," Jeff said while he held a new map in his hands. I nodded and kept driving. We've been on the road for at least two hours. I wasn't tired, nor was I dazed. I was fully awake and quite eager to get home.

"We should stop in a while for a refuel," I suggested and Jeff nodded in agreement. He's been really helpful. He's getting better with directions, unlike before. And I've been doing well too. Though...I haven't gotten over my...crime. It hasn't gotten out of my head. The gunshot. The blood. My own tears. My guilt that will never fade. I killed yet I saved. I don't see how I saved. I don't see my good deed when I ended up putting my Grandmother to death. She asked for it and I couldn't oppose her, but I still wish there had been another way to have "saved" her.

I sighed and my head spun. I had to stop driving and pullover because I was just that dizzy. I stopped the car and leaned my head against the steering wheel, trying to suppress the pulsating pain in my head. "What's wrong?" Jeff asked, worry in his voice. I shook my head and said, "I'm fine. I just....I-I can't think straight..."

"Do you need to rest?" he asked. I didn't answer him because I couldn't hear him. A high-pitched, ringing echoed in my ears, like I was in deep, deep silence. My vision blurred and I strained to see correctly. I couldn't hear Jeff worry. I couldn't hear him yell for my attention. I couldn't hear anything but the ringing. Once it finally stopped all I heard was Jeff yell, "Put the gun down!!!"

I looked up to see that I was pointing a gun at my head. Jeff was backed up against the passenger door, eyes wild with surprise. "Ellie," he said softly, "J-Just put the gun down. Okay? G-Give me the gun."

He reached out a hand for me to place the gun in but...I refused. I still held the gun, my mind a blur. What was I doing? Where were we going? Where am I now?

"Ellie, please," Jeff pleaded.

I shook my head. Why? I clutched the gun tighter, still dizzy. I killed. What's to stop me from doing it again? I should just end my existence. Everyone will die anyways so why would my efforts matter to humanity? I'll just destroy.

"Elizabeth, put the gun down!" Jeff demanded sternly. "You don't have to do this. You shouldn't kill yourself!"

He's right. I'd just be killing again. So what now? How should suppress this? M...more killing? Yeah...that'd be nice.

"Ellie!!!"

"You're right," I muttered and Jeff sighed in relief. I chuckled but my smile faded as I pointed the gun at him instead. He froze and before he could try to stop me I pulled the trigger and watched as the window behind him spotted with his blood-

I woke up, screaming and panting. I covered my eyes and kept screaming, shocked from my terrible nightmare. Arms wrapped around me and I heard someone say, "Calm down. It's okay. You're okay." I looked up to see Jeff hugging me close. The scene where I had shot him in my nightmare had flashed through my mind and I screamed even more but he just squeezed me tighter, keeping me from freaking out too much. I eventually stopped screaming and I broke down in tears. Jeff just shushed me gently, calming me down some more. I mumble through tears, "I-I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Shhh... Just calm down, okay? Everything's fine," he whispered and I nodded. I hugged him tightly, the last of my tears still falling. Jeff stroked my hair, soothing my nerves and finally calming me down. He just rocked me back and forth and I mumbled, "Jeff...?"