He's Back

It had been a week since Mr Way had received that call and left class.

Of course, a lot of rumours had spread about what was happening and I was ignoring all of them. For some reason, I felt the need to defend him in some way and tell everyone it wasn't their business.

And anyway, we knew what had happened. His daughter and ex-fiancé had been in a car crash. No wonder he hadn't come back to school yet.

I had been spending my frees outside again and let me tell you, it wasn't exactly the best place to hang out when it was already getting cold. Mr Way's door was always locked though and even if it was unlocked, I wouldn't go in there. That would be weird. And not to mention sad.

Our instructions in class for the week had been just to start on our plays, but without any guidance, they were already failures waiting to happen. It wasn't like the substitute had any idea either.

And on top of all that, I was actually really missing Mr Way. Like, he was my favourite teacher. Of course school sucked without him.

The Tuesday after his departure, which was exactly a week after, I thought I saw him on my way to Homeroom, walking across the campus. I couldn't be too sure though because I only caught a glimpse.

That just made me impatient to get to Drama to see if he actually was there.

When I did get to Drama, I was practically jumping with the want to know if he was back or not. I entered the room, half expecting the substitute, half hoping it was him.

The two groups were already splitting themselves in half and setting the chairs in circles.

There was someone at the desk and as soon as I saw the messy hair, the tie and waistcoat, I almost let out a happy laugh.

I didn't though of course. That would have been pretty weird.

I did, however, smile widely at nothing in particular.

It was at that moment that Mr Way looked up from some paperwork and caught my smile. I almost ran out the room again out of pure embarrassment but when he smiled back, a strange feeling washed over me that wasn't something I'd experienced before.

I dropped my head before he noticed my flaming cheeks and headed over to my group.

We had barely done anything since Mr Way's last class with us and I could sense everyone was a little nervous in case he asked us to show what we had so far.

I knew he wasn't mean like that though so I tried not to stress out too much about performing that lesson.

Mr Way got up from his desk and walked to the front of the stage. "Good morning, everyone. It has been awhile since we were last conversant with each other and I deeply apologise for that. Something came up and no doubt, you have heard about it. Just so you know, everything is capital again now."

He started slowly unbuttoning his shirt sleeves and rolling them up to his elbows and I have to admit, it was pretty nice to watch. Not that I was looking at him in that way or anything.

"The past is in the past," He carried on, "And it does not do well to dwell. Now, let us start on these plays."

The lesson began and it was like he had never gone. He bounced around and got really excited when we told him our initial ideas. Which we had actually thought were shit but okay then.

When it was out that both groups hadn't actually rehearsed much of the plays yet, Mr Way made us all stand up and reminded us that acting was 25% written work and 75% physical work. Too bad I was a lazy shit.

When the lesson finished and we started leaving, Mr Way called that he had missed our class and when no one replied, I found myself going over to his desk. I have no idea why but my feet just took me there and then I was saying, "For the record, Sir, the whole class missed you too. It was pretty messed up here last week."

Mr Way, who had looked up from his work when I had spoken, smiled widely at me. "That is very amiable of you to say, Frank, thank you."

I smiled back sheepishly and was about to go when he asked, "Will I be seeing you during our corresponding free period?"

The room was empty apart from me and him now and even though I enjoyed his company, it was a little weird. Maybe because you could take what he was asking as something more than a meet up or was that just me?

"If that's alright, Sir." My voice lacked in confidence compared to how it had been before because I honestly wasn't sure why he'd want me here with him.

"Of course," Mr Way's smile didn't waver, "We have some catching up to do, Mr Iero."

Something in me liked the sound of that and I smiled back, nodding.

"For now though, you should get to your next class before your teacher wants my head on a spike." He winked at me before looking back down to the work he was marking.

I was a bit speechless just from the wink so I quickly said, "Yeah." And left the room as fast as I could.

Hopefully he didn't notice my embarrassed departure.

~

I returned to his room an hour later and knocked timidly on the door.

Moments later, it swung open to reveal Mr Way grinning at me. "You don't need to knock, Mr Iero. You're the only student who visits me out of class."

He turned and went back into the room.

I followed and shut the door behind me.

"Am I actually?" I asked, blushing slightly at that fact. Did that make me a nerd? Or worse: an official teacher's pet?

"Indeed," He sat on the edge of the stage, crossing his legs and beaming at me, "Are you a fan of mine?"

I couldn't help but chuckle at that and I took my bag off. "I wouldn't say that."

"No? How about admirer?" His warm smile turned into a coy smirk.

I definitely had a struggle holding myself together at that comment. Surprisingly, I managed to stay pretty cool about it all. On the outside anyway. "Maybe, Sir. If you want."

One of his eyebrows cocked up and I instantly regretted my failed attempt at possibly flirting because that was never going to be a good idea.

"Interesting," His sly smile was back. "I will remember that."

I wished he wouldn't though because that seriously sounded bad.

"I admire you too, Mr Iero." He jumped back down onto the floor and went over to his desk.

That weird feeling swept over me again and I couldn't stop a smile from spreading across my face.

Seriously, what was that feeling?

---

Hiatus over!!

-Beth :3