Performance

"Please could everyone arrive back here for about half five? There will be no time for a run through, but I know you are all more than ready." Mr Way smiled round at us all before propelling himself from in front of the stage to his desk on his chair.

The class started leaving noisily, talking about where to go for food and who they had invited to come and watch the plays.

I dragged out putting my chair away and picking up my bag. I could have gone with Willow and her friends but I couldn't be bothered. Plus, there was someone else I'd rather spend my time with.

I went over to his desk just as the door shut behind the last student leaving.

"We really should stop meeting like this, Iero." Gerard smiled up at me from behind his desk.

"Well, I have to be here. It's school." I smirked.

"Touché." He started cleaning his desk up a little, "How are you feeling about the performance tonight?"

I wasn't actually feeling that nervous. We'd performed as a class before but I'd never actually had a speaking part before. It would probably hit me right before how scary it is.

"I'm feeling good about it."

He looked up again and smiled, "I'm gratified to hear that. Do you have relatives coming?"

I looked down at the floor and kicked it lightly with my shoe. "My mom and stepdad are coming. My dad didn't want to come."

"Why ever not?" I heard the papers he had been fiddling with go quiet.

I looked up again and shrugged, "He just said he was busy."

Gerard had a slight frown on his face as he thought for a moment. Eventually, he said, "That does not mean he didn't feel inclined to come."

I merely shrugged again in response. I wasn't that bothered; I was kind of used to it.

"No matter." Gerard suddenly stood up and pushed his chair across the room until it was next to the rows of chairs. He looked at me, "Would you be so kind as to help me set up the room?"

"Yeah, sure." I dumped my bag next to the stage and helped him move the desk until it was at the bottom of the room.

About ten or so minutes later, we had set out all the chairs in rows facing the stage with an aisle in the middle.

"Thank you, Frank." Gerard smiled when we had finished. He stood in front of me and looked at me fondly, "I suppose you should leave now so you have the opportunity to have some dinner."

My own expression faltered a little, "But I'd rather stay here."

He chuckled lightly and placed a hand on the side of my face. I nuzzled into it more and smiled.

"You are certainly a devoted individual."

"Is that a bad thing?" I placed one of my own hands over his.

"On the contrary," He smiled a warm smile, "I find it rather enchanting. But nonetheless, you should go." He pulled his hand out from under mine and walked over to his desk which was now near the wall at the other end of the room.

I sighed but did as he asked and grabbed my bag and headed for the door.

"Oh, Frank?"

I turned to look at him just as my hand was on the door handle. "Yeah?"

He was leant against the desk, his phone in his hand. "You will do marvellous tonight."

"I hope so." I smiled a nervous smile in reply before leaving the room in search of food.

It actually was beginning to hit me then. Whether I liked it or not, this performance was happening. I knew my group was more than ready but that didn't stop me from worrying. This was different to playing music. I didn't have a guitar to hide behind.

A couple of hours later, I was standing behind the stage with the rest of my group, listening to the crowd talk in the classroom. This was actually happening.

We heard Mr Way get the audience's attention and give a small speech about how hard we had worked and how proud he was. Everyone was clapping then and apparently, we were starting.

I wasn't actually on until the third scene so I just had to wait in silence, listening to what was happening onstage. It was pretty nerve-wracking. I was glad I didn't have a bigger part.

When it was finally time for my entrance, I tried my best to perform it like we had rehearsed a million times before and not look at the audience. However, I couldn't help but steal a glance when I had finished my lines and I was just standing at the back of the stage, reacting to the other characters.

The whole room was full and that was enough to freak me out a little. Every seat seemed to be occupied. At least, it looked that way from the quick peek I had taken.

By the time the play was finished, it hadn't felt like that much time had passed and I was actually a little surprised that it was over. In my opinion, it had gone pretty well.

We bowed onstage as the audience clapped a lot and I couldn't stop a stupidly big grin from spreading across my face. This had actually been a lot better than I had expected.

---

Yes, I am alive. Yes, this chapter is overdue and shit. And yes, the next chapter will be bigger and better.

Sorry for the delay in updates.

-Beth :3