Bandit

After the initial embarrassment and disappointments of parent's evening wore off, I went back to not caring what my teachers thought of me. Well, apart from one of course.

My mom spent about two days gushing about what Mr Way had said and apparently, that was enough to make her forget about all the other appointments. My step-dad, Richard, was actually impressed by it all. Granted, he didn't know about how bad I was doing in my other classes but whatever.

My mom even went as far as to call my dad and tell him. He didn't sound as excited but he did say he'd buy me a new guitar strap because of it. I was actually shocked.

Mr Way had literally changed the atmosphere in my personal life and at home. What the fuck.

I should have been hurt really that my parents were that surprised that I was good at a subject. My music teacher always said I was a good guitarist but then would end on the fact that I always messed around in class. It was always the thing that stuck in my mom's head because it was the last thing she heard. Just a little unfair.

However, Mr Way had given a full positive report and a short one too. My mom hated sitting with a teacher for more than a few minutes. Mr Way was a pro and I hadn't had to prep him at all.

I wanted to tell him he'd done well but I didn't really want to mention my parents around him. It always made me feel insecure because I was seventeen and he was twenty-three. I was still a fucking child and I didn't want to remind him of that fact. Maybe I should mention something though about the praise he gave me.

I was set to do just that but the thought went completely out of my head as soon as I walked into his classroom the next morning.

A lot of the girls were "aww"ing about something. I frowned at the guys who were sat down, not really caring about what was happening. But what was happening?

Before I could ask someone, a small human ran around the cooing girls and over to the desk where Mr Way was writing something down. It took me a second to realise that it must be his daughter. Well, shit.

Mr Way smiled down at her before picking her up and placing her on his lap. "Could everyone get on with rehearsals as soon as the rest of your group arrives, please?" He called out, continuing to write.

The class began to divide themselves into the two groups but most of them were too interested in the little girl with messy pigtails sat on her father's lap.

I didn't know why but I felt really awkward. I didn't need another reminder that he was way too old for me. He had created life three years ago and I had only just started high school. How bad was that?

I sat down with my group and half listened to what they were saying about the three year old. It was just the usual "she's so cute" sort of thing.

I suddenly remembered the free. Would it be best if I didn't come back? Would his daughter be here all day? Man, this sucked.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't have anything against his daughter. This whole situation just felt wrong.

Mr Way more or less left us to it for the whole lesson. The only time he walked around was when the little girl would run around the room and he would casually follow her. He seemed like a pretty laid back dad. At least, here he did. That didn't really surprise me. He never seemed to be stressed or anything. Or maybe he was just good at hiding it.

Ten minutes to the end of the lesson, when we were in the middle of a scene. The child came over to us and stared as we acted. I kinda didn't want to continue. My next line was, "Fuck you, Mr West." I wasn't that comfortable saying it in front of a three year old.

In the end I just said, "Screw you, Mr West," while Mr Way and his daughter watched. I didn't know why but it was a little nerve wracking.

"Get out of my house, Adam!" Matt yelled, pointing behind me.

That was my exit line. I glared at him before storming off and standing next to the girl who was playing my girlfriend in the play. I was actually really getting into this play and I now knew all of my lines.

The bell went soon after that and the class made its way out.

Mr Way smiled at me before calling out that everyone had done well today. I smiled a little back and left.

I decided to go back in the free because I was a clingy motherfucker and plus, I hadn't spoken to him properly yet. I needed my daily dose of Gerard.

When I opened the door and shut it behind me, I saw his daughter sat in the middle of the room, playing with some teddies, while Mr Way sat at his desk, on his phone.

Trying not to disturb him, I decided to sit down next to the little girl. She looked up as I crossed my legs and smiled at me. "Play with me." She held out a small bear.

"Okay." I took it from her and joined in her game.

I wasn't used to this. Being an only child, I had never really been around babies and toddlers since I was one.

After a few minutes of playing invisible teddy café, Mr Way suddenly sat down next to me. "What are we playing?" He asked.

"Teddy café, Daddy!" The little girl beamed.

He smiled back at her before looking at me. "Nice of Frank to play with you."

She nodded like a mini bobble head before going back to her game.

Mr Way stroked the back of my hand on the carpet. "Her mother dropped her off this morning with no warning." He explained, "Slightly inconvenient but I could never say no to my little Bandit."

"Bandit?" I frowned at the name. Somehow, it didn't seem articulate enough for him.

He nodded and smiled at her. "I was going to ask if you would like to stay over tonight as it is Friday but I suppose that can't possibly happen now. If you'd like, you can stay over tomorrow?"

Hell yes.

"Yeah, I'd like that." I made sure I sounded more casual than I did in my head.

He nodded, "Marvellous."

---

Guys, I saw my ex-Drama teacher (the one I based this fic off) the other day and I literally yelped. I almost started crying in the salad section of Sainsbury's. Traumatic.

Also, it's a year ago this month that I met Frank and now I'm super sad and have been reminiscing. I want to go back :(

-Beth :3