Back to Reality

Asuna's P.O.V.

Asuna opened her eyes. It took a moment for them to adjust to the dark. It was even darker, considering that she was looking through the visor of the Amusphere. Asuna lifted it off her head and set it on the bedside table. She sat up and turned on the lights with her remote. She was still in her pajamas, which consisted of gray shorts and a pink tank top. 

She would not have normally worn anything like that, but she was alone in her room, so she was more concerned with comfort. Asuna checked her phone to see if she had any emails or messages. She didn't. Asuna laid on the bed, not wanting to get up. 

Finally, she decided to get dressed and go downstairs for some food. She had barely eaten breakfast, which consisted of a banana. She was hungry. Eating in the game only made you think you were full. Asuna stood up and slipped on her house shoes. She walked over to her closet, opening it manually, since she had left the remote on the bed side table. She picked out a  white loose fitting shirt with black triangles on it and a red skirt to go downstairs in.

She slipped them on and put on some black tube socks to keep her feet warm. Asuna turned out the light and grabbed her phone, taking it downstairs with her. She was met on the stairs by Kouichirou, who looked like he was heading to his old room, where he sometimes stayed on the weekends. Asuna smiled at him and waved. He smiled back to her briefly.

Asuna went down the stairs and into the kitchen. She opened the fridge to find that there was some takeout from Mcdonald's. She picked it up and sifted through the bag until she found a ten piece chicken nugget box. She popped it into the microwave and dug out the barbecue sauce. 

The chicken nuggets were finished, so Asuna took them out and set them on the island. She opened the BBQ sauce and placed it in the corner of the box, piling the nuggets on top of each other to make room. She picked up one of the steaming chicken nuggets and dipped it in the sauce. She ran it around, letting the sauce get all up on the sides. 

Asuna took a bite of the crunchy nugget, digging into the soft center. She burned her tongue on the chicken and almost spit it out. She dropped the chicken nugget, opening her mouth to fan it and breathing hard to cool off the nugget.

She was aware of how silly it looked, but her mouth was in searing pain, so it didn't matter. She finally cooled her mouth down enough to swallow the nugget. She sighed in relief and went for a cup of water. She opened a cabinet next to the sink and pulled out a plastic cup. 

She turned on the tap and filled it with cold water. Asuna pressed the cup to her lips and let the water run into her mouth. It felt like ice, but it felt good. She held it in her mouth for a moment, letting it cool her tongue, and then swallowed it. She returned to her food and tore all the nuggets in half, so that they would cool down faster. 

The one she had previously bitten off of was still in the sauce where she had thrown it down. She touched it to check if it was cool enough to eat. Deciding that it was, she took another bite. This one was better. She ate her nuggets slowly, letting them fill her up.

Her father walked into the kitchen when she was halfway done. He winked at her and then got a cup of water and left. Asuna continued eating until her mother came into the kitchen. 

"Asuna, where were you? You've been gone all day. I thought you ran away! Tell me before you go somewhere!", she said. She sounded mad, but not like she cared for Asuna's safety. 

"Did you try my room?", Asuna said. Her mother looked appalled.

"Don't back talk me! I gave birth to you and this is how you repay me? I brought you into this world, I can take you out. You're grounded this week.", her mom said, turning on her heel and leaving.