I'll Fight for You

I'll give you a que on when to play the music, so until then, just enjoy the chapter.

Asuna's p.o.v.

I was on my way to work after a fun day with Kazuto. I had to hurry out the door in order to be on time. I barely found time for a shower. I wanted to enjoy my last few months at the nursing home. I'd have to tell Mrs. Matsuda tonight. That wouldn't be very fun, but I had to do it. Of course I would still visit her, but I wouldn't be able to come as often.

I pulled into the parking lot at the rehab center and parked the car. I rushed in and punched my card, then went to the lobby, where the computer sat on the front desk, logged off. I set my purse down under the desk and logged onto the computer. I was right on time. I was expecting my boss to come in and check on me today. She was pretty understanding, but sometimes she was in a bad mood. 

I took out the paperwork that was here for me today. It was the same as always. Medications logs, visitor logs, and a couple of different things that were supposed to be signed. I got started on the paperwork, starting with the med logs, since those took the longest.

I wasn't halfway through the first med log when my boss walked into the lobby. She was a short woman who usually wore professional dresses with a women's blazer over top of it. Her hair was blond and pulled up in a ponytail and she wore glasses that were thicker than an oak tree. Her clip board had little stickers on it from her niece, who was always coming to visit, and she always carried a pen, which she clicked a lot when she was angry or upset. Her name was Anya Kiri.

Anya walked up in front of the desk and greeted me. Her pen was silent and she had a smile on her face. Her voice was high and soft. 

"Hello, Asuna. I'm just here for your evaluation. Is there anything you'd like to say to me before we begin?", she asked. 

"Actually, yes. Um, In a few months, I have to quit. I have to take care of my family.", I said.

"Is somebody sick?", she asked.

"No, I'm just expecting.", I said.

"Oh, well who are you expecting?", she asked. One thing I forgot to mention, she wasn't the brightest of people, but she wasn't so bad most of the time.

"Um, no, I'm pregnant. I have to leave work to take care of my kids.", I said.

"Oh! Congratulations. I'll get the paperwork straightened out, and when the time comes, I'll start looking for a new secretary.", she said.

I smiled and nodded, then went back to the med log I was working on. Anya walked around behind the desk and watched me, almost completely silent, save the sound of her writing on her clipboard. I was used to this kind of thing. I'd always been pretty good at tuning things out. 

I finished the med logs by 2:30, then moved on to the visitation logs, which I just had to put into the computer. I finished those by 3:30, then started on the things that needed signing. I had to read through them all and pay attention to every word. Once I read everything, I signed it and put it in the 'approved' slot. If anything seemed wrong or there was an error, I had to put it in the 'disapproved' slot. This wouldn't have normally taken long, but my boss was watching, so I slowed down to make it look like I actually paid that much attention to what these forms said. Usually, I would have just skimmed over it for errors, then approved it if I didn't find any.

I put three papers in the disapproved slot, and the other 10 in approved. There were only a few more things to do before I was done with paper work and was just a receptionist. I had to go through today's mail and put it in the appropriate folders for the right people. I picked up the stack of mail that was on the counter and began sorting through it.