"??????" AU

<< If I ever just put a string of question marks, I either don't know what to name it or it's a mystery AU. Mwahaha~ >>

Dearest Scotty,

I hope you've received this letter. I instructed the doctors to give it to you as soon as you woke up from surgery. Well, wait, if you're reading this then of course you've received it.

I hope you're happy and that you're feeling healthy. When you first came down with your sickness, I myself was heartbroken and scared. I couldn't imagine how you felt. I would lay awake at night and try to imagine it, and I just couldn't. So all I did was hold you closer, crying as you fell asleep and praying you'd wake in the morning.

As you got worse, we moved from our own house and our own bed to an unfamiliar hospital. It was a three-hour plane ride to get there. I remember how I held your hand the whole way. When we got off the plane, you nearly fell, and I had to catch you. That was when it really hit me how bad you were, how terrible this was. We fell asleep that night at around two in the morning, our background noise being the beeping of machines and the whir of cars on the Las Vegas streets below. You cried. I cried. You told me that everything hurt, you told me you couldn't breathe, you told me you just wanted to have me next to you. I told you I loved you. You told me you were scared. I told you I knew. You told me you loved me. I told you I knew.

Days wore on, and I spent nearly my whole time in the hospital with you. Sure, I'd leave to bring you little gifts and meals from the city, but for the most part I stayed. You ate the food. I brought the trash can in preparation. You threw it all up and cried, you told me you were hungry, you told me you were sorry. I said I was sorry. We spent a while crying and apologizing to each other. I hugged you and kissed your neck softly and told you I loved you. You said you were going to die. I prayed that you didn't.

We found your one way out. The doctors said you could get a heart transplant. They said it was risky, that there weren't many donor hearts available, that it would take a while to find ones in your blood type. Eventually, it worked. We got the news in the middle of the night. I picked you up and carried you to where the doctors were waiting. I kissed your lips and told you I loved you. You asked if this was the last time we'd do that. I said I didn't know.

But that's not the truth. In fact, there are a lot of things you didn't know.

Congratulations, Scotty. You've stolen my heart once again.