"??????????" AU #2

<< Based on the photo above. Cosplay credit to the amazing VinnyAndAce , and big thanks to him for letting me use his picture. Trigger warning for themes of abuse throughout. >>

Vincent ran into the pizzeria, his breathing heavy and almost pained. He grabbed a silvery balloon from one of the tables, using it as a mirror to check his appearance. God, he was a mess. He smoothed his hair down, wiping at a trail of red blood that ran from his nose, only really succeeding in smudging it across his lip. Great. He pulled some hair away from his face to reveal a black eye, then pushed the hair back over. Didn't need anyone seeing that.

He sighed, his hands steadying him on the table. He felt like he couldn't breathe. It was almost like drowning, the way his emotions and secrets constantly suffocated him. He didn't know how long he could keep this to himself. Things were getting worse, and he was scared out of his mind. Scared of what would happen if he stayed. Scared of what would happen if he left.

He ran his hand across his other eye, the white of it almost piercing through the darkness. The skin around it was a paler purple color. It wouldn't stay that way for long. He shuddered at the memories that came with simply looking at himself.

But still, there were things he had to look forward to. Work was one of them. That may seem a bit strange. It certainly seemed that way to his coworkers. But he got to work with Scott, and for him, that was a plus. Scott was kinder and gentler than the man Vincent lived with. He spoke to him like... like a person. He didn't treat him like a punching bag, and almost never got angry.

There was also the possibility that he could die, and escape all this. He liked that, too.

He checked the slightly cracked watch on his wrist. It was almost midnight. He checked his appearance one last time, then let the balloon float to the ceiling, walking down to the office. His shoes scuffed against the floor, as he walked with a barely noticeable limp.

"Hey Vince." Scott waved from the office chair, glancing at his coworker for a second, then doing a double take. "Um... are you okay to work today? You look terrible."

Vincent waved his hand, blowing him off. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Let's... let's just get working, okay?"

"Vince, I'm really worried, though..." He stood. "You've been acting... different, lately."

"D-different? How so?" His eyes shifted away from Scott's gaze.

"You seem... upset, or scared, or something..." Scott reached a hand up to sweep the hair out of Vincent's face. He flinched, but didn't make an effort to stop him. He didn't really know why. He knew the outcome.

"V-Vincent... where did you get that?"

"Y-you know, just... I-I told you, I'm clumsy, okay?"

"You're a terrible liar."

"I-I... look, it was just... m-my boyfriend, okay? But it's not a big deal..." He looked away. To his surprise, Scott didn't cry, or gasp, or seem to react at all.

"Vincent. Look at me." Vincent looked up slowly, to see a fist being raised, in preparation for a hit. He immediately screamed and covered his face. It was instinct at this point. "It is a big deal. You're terrified. I'm not going to hit you, okay? I'm gonna take you to the police, you have to tell someone what's going on. Okay?"

"I-I can't do that! H-he'll just do it again! Worse this time!" He grabbed at his head, just now noticing he was hyperventilating. His vision got blurry around the edges, he felt like he was falling. Scott gently took his hands away, holding them in his.

"He's going to go somewhere where he can never hurt you again. I'm going to make sure of it. I'll protect you. You believe me, right?"

"Y..." He squeezed Scott's hand, feeling like he was coming back down to Earth. "... y-yes."

"Good. I care about you, Vince. I... I don't know what I'd do, if you kept getting hurt and I didn't know about it. Now, let's go."