"Ghost" AU #1 (Finished)

Many people seem to think that life and death are polar opposites, and that it's all black and white. Really, it's more grey, honestly.

Scott died a while ago, during a shift at work. It was his second-to-last night, and he was stuffed in a suit while leaving a message for the new guy. Mike still feels guilty about the whole thing, and I don't blame him. I would too.

I've never been a believer in the paranormal, but now I guess I have a reason to be one. Because the most extraordinary thing happened.

It began, I guess, when I started to just... notice the tiny things. For example: my cat would really start freaking out sometimes. He wouldn't even go near my room. I guess that's a lousy example, though. Oh geez, I'll just cut to the chase.

My boyfriend is a ghost.

I love that he came back, of course I do. He's my boyfriend, for God's sake. But it's a bit melancholy, too. There are so many things we can't do anymore. I wish I could hold him in my arms again. I wish I could kiss his lips and run my hands through his hair. I wish I could hold his hand and push my fingers between the spaces in his, lean my head on his shoulder and whisper "I love you".

... you thought I was gonna talk about sex, didn't you? Pervert.

It's weird to just see him here, like this. I can't touch him, all I can do is look at the wispy white spirit of a man who once was. I can still talk to him though. And oh, it's so great to hear his voice again. And the little things he says, and every time he says he loves me. His caramel eyes, his messy hair, his genuine smile... I appreciate it even more now than I did before.

You really do learn to appreciate things, but only when they're gone, or not the same as they were before.