"Valentine's Day" AU

Scott walked down the busy streets of the inner city, his hands in the pockets of his coat, his breath a pale cloud in front of him as he exhaled. He glanced around at his surroundings, taking in another breath of cold air. Couples walked along hand in hand, as dim orange light lit up charming stores which advertised Valentine's Day sales and specials. Valentine's Day. Scott had never really liked it. He'd never had good luck getting valentines from people, but maybe that was just because he never gave any out. All through grade school, high school, and even now.

But maybe this year, he'd break his tradition of abstaining from the sappy celebrations.

A small cart on the corner was lined with flowers, and small hearts were colored on a chalkboard in front of it, as well as a message that a bouquet cost 10 dollars. Scott preemptively fished the money from his pocket.

"Hey there!" The boy at the cart spun a tulip around in his hand before putting it in his pocket. "What can I get you?"

"W-what would you get for a... a-a person... and, they don't really know you like them, b-but you really do... a-and-"

"I'm a flower salesman, not a love guru. Buuuut, I think you'd probably wanna get roses. Maybe purple? They symbolize enchantment, love at first sight, romantic intentions..."

Scott immediately handed over his money with a shaky smile, taking the bouquet as he did. "Purple is p-perfect, actually. T-thank you."

"You're welcome, man."

Scott made his way to the pizzeria, flinging open the door a bit too excitedly. He practically ran in with the bouquet, shoving it behind his back as he timidly slowed and walked towards the office. He knocked on the wall quickly before stepping into the entryway.

There Vincent sat, leaned back in his chair. His hair was tied back in a large red bow for the occasion of Valentine's Day, and one of his eyes was open to look towards Scott. "Oh. Well, hello there. Didn't think I'd see you tonight."

"Y-yeah, well... I actually... um... h-had something to tell you."

Vincent tilted his head and sat up, intrigued. "Yes?"

"V-Vincent, I... I've been around you for... a-a very long time. And we're close friends but, I-I... I'd love to get a lot closer... because Vincent, I..." He held out the bouquet of roses, hands shaking a bit. "... I love you. I have for... a while now. And, I know you probably don't feel the same, but... b-but..."

"Scott. Calm down." Vincent stood and walked over to Scott, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I... well, t-thank you for the flowers. And, u-um... actually... I feel the same way." He stood on his tiptoes to kiss Scott's forehead sweetly.

Scott blushed. "You do?"

"Of course, Scotty." Vincent took a rose, checked it for thorns, and tucked it behind Scott's ear. "I love you too."