"Soulmate" AU #1

<< I love soulmate AUs, where you have a predestined soulmate and there's a deciding factor in who that soulmate will be, so I'll be doing quite a few of these. >>

Scott remembered a time long ago when the world was black and white. Or his world was, at least. The sky, the trees, the people... all was either light or shadow.

It was always that way, in the beginning. As it went, the time you would finally see the world for all it was, finally see color, was at the moment you met your soulmate. But the luxurious hues would not always be there; when your soulmate dies, you're permanently returned to black and white.

It was nice to see the wonder and awe in people's eyes when they bumped into each other and the full world came into view. But it was downright depressing to be in public somewhere and suddenly see someone crumple to the floor and sob.

He remembered vividly when he met his soulmate, Vincent. What a day that was. He was minding his own business, mopping the grey floors and wiping grey windows in the restaurant where he worked, Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. He heard the door swing open and instinctively turned his head. "Hello, welcome to Freddy Fa-"

Like an explosion, color burst into the world. The floors were checkered black and white. The walls and his uniform were purple, the window he was cleaning was blueish, and the world outside was so many colors that he couldn't describe them all at once. And that man had seen it too, and ran over.

"So, I suppose we're soulmates, hm?" Vincent's eyes were pearly white, his skin light purple, and his hair a darker color that almost matched the wall.

Scott nervously put his arms around the man, which caused them both to turn red. "Yup."

Scott thought of how Vincent was on night shift now, as he'd been for hundreds of nights before. He thought of their upcoming wedding, looking at the gold engagement band around his finger that glinted white in the moonlight. And he fell asleep dreaming of all the colors in all the world.

<< Above is the happy ending. Below is the optional angst ending. Do not read if you do not want your heart shattered. And don't worry about which is the "real ending", because they're both the real ending. >>

Little did Scott know that he would wake up in the morning to an old, faded world, all in black and white.