Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chloe couldn't speak. She had seen her little girl being violated. Her perfect little ten year old daughter. Emily was confused as Charlotte helped her up off the floor. "Emmy, are you okay?" Aubree asked.
Emily said nothing. "Emmy talk to us sweetie."

Mr Carter had been arrested and taken to A&E. Given the circumstances, Chloe wasn't in trouble with the police. "I erm, I need to tell Max," Chloe mumbled. Emily had to go to the Hospital to have an examination.
"Chloe, this is not your fault," Charlotte said.
"Isn't it? I left her in here alone! He violated my baby girl," Chloe cried.
"Mummy, what's violated?" Emily asked.
"It means hurt sweetie," Chloe said. Emily nodded.
"She thinks she's done wrong. Chloe, stay with Emily. I'll tell Max," Charlotte said. Chloe nodded.

Chloe sat with Emily outside on one of the comfortable chars. Emily cuddled into her.
"I've been a bad girl," Emily mumbled. She burst out crying. Chloe held her tightly.
"No you haven't sweetie."
"Daddy will hate me!"
"Daddy won't hate you. This isn't your fault," Chloe said. Emily nodded.
"I did what you and daddy do though mummy," Emily mumbled. Chloe sighed.
"That doesn't matter beautiful."

Charlotte arrived at Chloe and Max's. She didn't know how Max would react to this. She took a deep breath. Scarlett came running over. "You not my mummy! Where she?" Scarlett asked.
"She's with Emmy," Charlotte said. Scarlett pouted and ran off.

Max was sitting in the living room with Isla. She had been struggling with her homework. Charlotte walked in. "Max, can we talk please?"
"What about?"
"Let me talk," Charlotte said. Isla went off with Aubree and Taitlyn.

Max sat down with Charlotte. Charlotte started to cry.
"Emily was raped by Mr Carter," Charlotte said. Max broke down. Charlotte had never seen him like that before.
"I'm a terrible father!" Max sobbed. Charlotte held him and tried to comfort him.

Charlotte text Tom telling him to go and pick up Emily and Chloe. He got them in the car and didn't ask. He knew something must have happened.

When Emily and Chloe went into the house. Chloe saw Max in tears with Charlotte. Chloe and Emily went in. Emily ran to Max and Max held her tightly. Chloe looked at Charlotte.
"Could we be alone?" Chloe asked. Charlotte nodded and hugged Chloe before leaving.

Chloe looked at Max. "They got him," Chloe mumbled.
"She's been hurt. Our daughter was abused by that monster," Max said.
"I know Max."
"Where were you?" Max asked. Chloe felt bad.
"I-I was outside," Chloe mumbled.
"You left her alone?" Max yelled. Emily flinched and she ran upstairs.
"I'm sorry!"

Charlotte had the feeling something was wrong. She went outside Chloe's and heard the arguing. "I CAN NOT BE BLAMED FOR THIS!"

Charlotte rushed in and saw Chloe and Max yelling. "You left her alone to be abused!"
"I didn't know that she would be hurt!"

Charlotte told Chloe to leave and take the kids. Chloe did. Charlotte went to Max. Max slapped Charlotte. Her eye was bleeding.
"I didn't mean to," Max said. Charlotte didn't say anything.

Chloe sat with Tom. Emily had fallen asleep. Tom put her in Charlotte's bed. Taitlyn and Aubree were cuddling. They kissed and Chloe could see Aubree was crying.

"Aubree?"

Aubree ran into her mum's arms. "I'm so sorry this happened," Aubree said. Chloe held her close.
"Its gonna be okay sweetie. I promise."

Charlotte had sorted her eye out. She sat with Max. "Are you okay?" Charlotte asked. Max nodded.
"I'm fine."
Suddenly, Charlotte and Max kissed.

Chloe wanted to go and see Max. She went over to the house and walked in. She walked in to see Charlotte and Max on the sofa... Kissing. She stood back to see what would happen. She watched Charlotte push Max away.
"I didn't mean to," Max said.
"Just like you didn't mean to hit me!" Charlotte yelled. Chloe was shocked.
"I'm hurting," Max said. Chloe realised Max was suffering from something. "They told me to!"
"Who did?" Charlotte asked.
"They always talk to me since Emily got hurt. I can't see them but I know they're there," Max said. Chloe walked in and went over to Max. She held him tightly.

"Look at me baby, I promise we'll get through this," Chloe said. She held Max close. He wasn't as tough as she realised.
"Chloe, I think it might be schizophrenia," Charlotte said. Chloe nodded.
"Max baby, you're not well but you'll get help."

Max rolled his eyes. "You think I'm ill? Well I have news for you Chloe, I was about to cheat on you but you walked in. I had to do something," Max spat at her. Chloe was trying to not cry.
"Max, you don't mean that."
"Yes I do. I'm not mentally unwell. That's you isn't it?"

Chloe was crying. "Max please."
"Don't beg."
Charlotte couldn't believe what was happening. She couldn't believe how horrible Max was being. Max threw a vase at Charlotte. It smashed on her hand. Chloe ran out and phoned an ambulance to come for Max.

When the paramedics arrived Charlotte was extremely weak from blood loss. Chloe was trying to help her and Max. The paramedics sedated Max and gave Chloe some pills for Max. They started to perform a blood transfusion on Charlotte.

Chloe couldn't believe that Max was faking being ill. She felt so hurt and betrayed.

Eddie had gone with Charlotte to A&E. Chloe stayed with Max. She walked into the kitchen and saw the bottles of vodka and brandy - Max was drunk.

Charlotte woke and she remembered everything. "Go check on Chloe," she mumbled.
"No sweetie. You need me."

Chloe threw a glass of water over Max. "This is all down to Aubree!" Max yelled.
"She didn't rape Emily!"
"She left her in the bathroom."
Chloe was getting angry. "Max don't you dare blame Aubree for this."
Max knew how to get Chloe to want him. "How about we go upstairs and have some fun."
Chloe shook her head. "No, you faked an illness. You were going to cheat on me," Chloe mumbled.
"Come on now," Max said. Chloe pushed him away and called the kids down. They went to Tom's house.

Tom heard about everything. He got Chloe to mind the kids. He stormed over to Max's.

When Tom went in he heard Max talking to someone.
"I know I've messed up!" Max yelled. "Yes I lied to Chloe because I didn't want to hurt her. Don't make me hurt myself... please... I know I'd be better dead because Emily is hurt. Fine! I'll do it tonight!"
Tom knocked the door and Max opened it. He was alone. His phone was nowhere in site. Max was mentally ill...