Chapter Fourty

Scarlett had been getting worse. Her chemotherapy had made her feel weak and she was constantly throwing up. Chloe had taken leave from school so she could look after Scarlett better. Chloe had made up with Rachel as she had been tested to see if she was a match for bone marrow.

That morning, Chloe sat downstairs and she cried. She didn't want to lose Scarlett. She meant everything to her. Chloe realised it was 6am and she saw Max standing there. "I didn't hear you get up."
"I know."
Max walked over to Chloe and held her as she cried. "Its going to be okay. She'll get through this," Max said. Chloe was in tears.
"She's three and a half Max. How can she survive this," Chloe sobbed.
"She will because she's tough and your daughter," Max said. Chloe didn't know anymore.

Max went to wake the kids up while Chloe went to see Scarlett. She saw her poorly daughter lying awake. "Mummy I feel poorly."
"I know sweetie. Mummy wants to make you better."
Scarlett giggled. "Can we go into daddy's work?" She asked. Chloe sighed.
"You need to ask daddy babes."

Chloe carried Scarlett downstairs. Max smiled and kissed her.
"Daddy, can I go to your work today?" Scarlett asked.
"Sure sweetie," Max said. Scarlett giggled and wrapped her arms around Chloe's neck.

Charlotte woke up to her phone ringing. She answered it.
"Hello?" she said.
"Hello. This is Doctor Johnston from the hospital. We have news on your bone marrow test," the doctor said. Charlotte smiled hoping it would be good news.

Aubree fed Scarlett some of her favourite sweets.
"No more until break," Chloe said. Scarlett giggled and handed her last one to Chloe.
"Mum, can I take Scarlett to my friends?"
"No she has to stay here," Chloe said. Aubree sighed.
"Please?"
Chloe shook her head. "Aubree no."
"She's going to die and then I wouldn't have spent no time with her!" Aubree yelled.
"I going to die?"
Chloe shook her head. "No sweetie."

Max sat in the office. Helen walked in. "So, now you're single. Do you want to go for a drink?" She asked.
"I'm not single now leave!" Max yelled. Helen ran out. Max looked at the screen. He wasn't a match for Scarlett. He started to cry. He needed his baby girl to live.

Aubree sat in tears. Charlotte found her.
"Aubs what's wrong?" Charlotte asked.
"I'm an idiot. I told Scarlett she was going to die. Mummy hates me. Im just scared," Aubree sobbed. Charlotte held her and rocked her gently.
"Scarlett isn't going to die Aubree. I promise you that."
"I'm scared though. I can't lose her."
Charlotte held her close. "I promise you angelcakes."

Chloe stayed with Scarlett in the staffroom. "Why does people think I going to die?" She asked.
"They're just scared babes. No one is going to lose you."

Max walked in and saw them. "Hey."
"Hi daddy!"
Scarlett ran over to Max and he held her close. "You being good?"
"I don't know. Mummy not told me off for asking about your trunk," Scarlett said.
Chloe smiled and noticed Max had been crying.
"Babes, you go and get your dollies," Max said. Scarlett ran to her bag on the chair. Chloe went over to Max.
"I'm not a match," Max said. He started to cry. Chloe held him tightly. Scarlett ran over.
"Daddy will you play with me?" Scarlett asked. Max smiled and wiped away his tears before nodding.

Charlotte took Aubree to the staff room to get her to tell Chloe her feelings. Chloe went over to Aubree and hugged her. Aubree broke down.
"I didn't mean it mummy. I'm just scared," Aubree sobbed.

Charlotte sat with Scarlett and Max. Scarlett sat on Charlotte's lap. Max smiled slightly.
"She adores you," Max said.
"She's a brave little girl."

Max nodded and he handed Scarlett her dolls. "No, daddy you have to keep that dolly in case I have to go and be an angel then you can member me!" Scarlett said.
"You're not going anywhere sweetie," Charlotte said. Scarlett giggled.
"Okay."

Chloe had heard what Scarlett had said and she was in tears. She walked from the staffroom and brokedown crying. Max followed her. "I-I can't lose her Max. It will kill me," she sobbed into Max. He was crying too.
Charlotte held Scarlett. Scarlett looked at her. Aubree stood and watched.
"Sweetie, you're not going to become an angel. You're not going anywhere. You're staying here because someone is going to save you," Charlotte said.
"Will that person be nice?" Scarlett asked.
"Yeah, they will be," Charlotte said.

Scarlett got off Charlotte's knee and ran to Aubree.
"Bee! Me staying here!" Scarlett said. Aubree smiled and hugged Scarlett.
"I know Scarlett," Aubree said.

"Does my daddy want me to be an angel?"
"No."
Scarlett giggled. "Okay."

Chloe had gone to see Charlotte. She had taken Scarlett to her classroom. Max stormed in. "What the hell, why are you risking her health?"He asked.
"What?"
"Chloe! You know if she comes into contact with anyone she risks getting worse," Max said. Chloe felt bad.
"I'm sorry."
Max started to cry. "I'm sorry."
Chloe held him. "It's only Charlotte. She'll be okay with her. You know that."
Max nodded and smiled at Charlotte.

Scarlett pretended to mark work on Charlotte's desk. She was sitting in Charlotte's lap. Max smiled at her.
"Maybe you could do some of my work while you're there," Max said. Scarlett giggled. Max and Chloe cuddled together.
"Charly says that when I'm better I can go to disneyland and see Cinderlly and Elsa and Anna and minnie!" Scarlett said.
"Yeah."
Scarlett giggled. "Can me?"
Max nodded. "Sure."

Suddenly, Scarlett started throwing up. "Mummy, I want to go home."
"This is all your fault!" Max screamed at Charlotte. Max pushed Charlotte away and slapped her. He lifted Scarlett and walked out. Chloe went with him.

Charlotte walked to the roof of the school. She blamed herself for what just happened to Scarlett. A pupil screamed as Charlotte stood at the edge and ran inside to get help.
Chloe laid with Scarlett. She had fallen asleep. Max came in. "Is she alright?"
"Yeah."
Max sighed and he sat with them. "I'll fetch Emily and Aubree can come back in a cab with Isla," Max said.
"Okay."

Tom had managed to talk Charlotte down. She wanted to see Scarlett and know that she was okay.

Scarlett was awake but she looked ill and pale. "Get out!" Max yelled.
"Let me see her please," Charlotte begged. Max pushed Charlotte towards the door. Tom pushed Max back.
"My wife just tried to kill herself because of your remarks," Tom spat. Max was shocked. He didn't actually realise how cruel he was being until now.

Chloe went over to Charlotte when Aubree came in. Aubree sat with Scarlett.
"Tell me that's not true Charlotte," Chloe said.
"I want to go home now Tom," Charlotte said and walked out.

Chloe looked at Max. "Why are you doing this? Scarlett is ill! Look at her," Chloe said.
"Look, she was fine until she left the staffroom."
"That's the chemo! It makes her ill and drowsy."

Deep down, Max knew he had overreacted but Scarlett was his baby girl. He didn't want to lose her. He couldn't lose her.