Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chloe hadn't been able to concentrate since she had lost the baby. She blamed herself for not knowing. Chloe knew Max blamed her too. She didn't know why they were obsessing over a baby they didn't know about.

When Chloe woke that morning, she saw Max was fast asleep. She didn't know weather to wake him or leave him asleep. She didn't want to have a row with him. Just as Chloe was about to get out of bed, Scarlett ran in. "Grace is seeping in her cot!" She yelled.
"Shh. Daddy's asleep," Chloe said.
"No! He need to wake!" Scarlett said.

Chloe lifted Scarlett and brought her downstairs. She put on Frozen and Scarlett sat quietly to watch it.

Chloe text Charlotte asking if she would come over today. Charlotte was the only one Chloe could really talk to about her miscarriage.

Charlotte woke to her phone buzzing. She saw Chloe's text and smiled.
"Of course CoCo - C xx"
Thanks - C xx

Charlotte got dressed. She told Tom where she was going and left with the kids.

They went over to Chloe's. Scarlett had fallen asleep on the sofa. Grace was sitting in the corner sucking on her toys. "Get that out your tiny small mouth," Chloe said. Grace babbled and crawled around.

Max came downstairs. He was fully dressed. He looked at Chloe and tried to walk out. "Talk to me," Chloe said.
"I blame myself," Max said and left. He went to Tom's.

Chloe felt her heart breaking when she heard that. Charlotte came in and hugged Chloe. Chloe cried.
"He blames himself Charlotte," Chloe said. Charlotte calmed Chloe down.

Taitlyn went upstairs and saw Aubree.
"Hey," Taitlyn said. Aubree smiled and pulled back the duvet for Taitlyn. Taitlyn for in and cuddled into Aubree. Aubree was watching YouTube videos
"Sorry about your brother or sister."
"Thanks."
Taitlyn cuddled into Aubree. "Fancy recording a video?" Taitlyn asked.
"Video?"
Taitlyn smiled. "Music video."
"Maybe."

Chloe had been texting Max. She wanted to see Max. She text him -
Come home - C xx
Why? - M
Please? We'll have some fun - C xx
Can Tom come? - M
Sure - C

Chloe and Charlotte played with the kids until Max and Tom turned up. Chloe made them some tea. Charlotte sat with Max to try to talk to him.

Aubree and Taitlyn were writing a song.
"I want it about my little sibling," Aubree said.
Taitlyn smiled and wrote down a line.
"Butterfly, fly, fly away from here"
Aubree smiled and started to cry. Taitlyn held her tightly and kissed her head.
"Its going to be okay. I promise," Taitlyn said.
"Really?"
"Yeah."

Chloe sat with Max. "Don't blame yourself. We didn't know about the baby," Chloe said.
"It was those damn heels that you always wear," Max said.
"Sorry for taking pride in how I look and dress," Chloe mumbled.

Max was trying to lighten the situation but Chloe was having none of it.
"I'm sorry," Max said. He walked out to the garden. Charlotte went after him.

Tom went out to the kitchen. He saw Chloe crying.
"These things happen. Look at Charlotte and I," Tom said. Chloe sighed and nodded.
"It's just difficult when you blame yourself," Chloe said. Tom sighed too.
"I know it is."
"Well then. You know how it feels."
"I do."
Chloe looked at Tom but she didn't feel anything anymore. Tom grabbed Chloe and kissed her. Chloe pushed him away.
"The hell are you doing?" Chloe yelled.

Max heard Chloe yelling and he ran in. He saw her pacing. "What's happened?"
"T-Tom kissed me. I-I didn't want him too!" Chloe said.
Max stormed over to Tom. He knew by the state Chloe was in that it wasn't her fault. He punched Tom and told him to leave. He walked out.

Charlotte didn't know what to do. Max hugged the two girls and they both cried. Eventually, Max started to cry. He wouldn't let Chloe blame herself for this. Tom had crossed the line now. Charlotte didn't know weather she could forgive Tom for this.