Impatience

-The countdown starts.

Ten..Nine..

We are among the crowd, his arm resting on my shoulders. I see everyone..from old to young to little kids..chant the counting backwards.

Eight..Seven..

I bend my head backwards and look towards the clock tower. It's huge and grand. The fastest needle continues it's journey towards the top of the clock. I see lights everywhere. Glimmering and shining. I can feel his gaze on my face.

Six..Five..

The gold in my eyes reflects the lights back. A hint of smile touches my lips and deepens. I feel that a smile spreads on his face too when he watches me smile. The people around us are unaware of our private bubble. I feel the warmth of my hands in the pockets of my overcoat and try to ignore my cold little nose.

Four..Three..

My heartbeat picks up pace in anticipation. I hold my breath. My eyes shine with excitement. His gaze deepens. I can feel the grey in his eyes melting to silver.
I roll my hands into fists to kill the cold.

Two..One..

The sky lights up with fireworks. Tears come into my eyes with happiness. We both laugh. Everybody is hugging each other around us. We turn towards each other and hug each other passionately.

"Happy New Year!" I shout above the voices of the crowd and laugh again.

"You look beautiful. Happy New Year to you too." He plants his lips on my ear and whispers.

That's when I know..we both laughed, but for different reasons.-

I opened my eyes. Grey. The color of magic. I felt like I was in a haze. Dreamy and blur. I tried to focus my sight at a single point. My head reeled. I closed my eyes and moaned.

"It's okay. You're fine, Miss Claire."
His voice.

I opened my eyes again but closed them instantly as I couldn't focus them anywhere.

"Wh-where am I?" I groaned as a pain shot inside my head.

"In my room." He spoke deeply.

"WHAT!??" I sprung up with shock. I felt like someone attacked my head with a hammer. I held my head in both of my hands and moaned.

"Here, take this. You'll feel better." He handed me a painkiller, I suppose, with a glass of water. I immediately gulped it and lay back down.

"Oh mom..." I moaned. "MOM!" I sprang up once again but ignored the headache. "I need to talk to her!" I panicked.

"I've already looked after it. You ought to rest, Miss Claire." He stated while standing by the side of the bed, his arms crossed at his oh-so muscular chest.

"You called her??" I freaked out.

"No. I texted her from your cell phone. Anything else, Miss Claire?" He raised an eyebrow. I suddenly felt conscious and tried to get out of the bed.

"You don't have to." He placed a hand on my shoulder and spoke deeply. A jolt of electric shock went through me. I tried to ignore it.

"Where's Marrie?" I worried.

"Why do you ask that much questions, Miss Claire?" His grey eyes bore into mine.

"Fine. I need to go home." I rolled my eyes and got out of the sheet covering me. That's when I saw my bare legs below the knees. I pulled at my dress in embarrassment to lower it and avoided his eyes.