Madness

"I guess both of you are left only so get paired up for the upcoming project."

Standing at the door of our classroom, luck struck me like that. Alaska Young said, "Luck is for suckers." Well, I didn't mind being a sucker at the moment. As long as I got to be with her, I was more than okay as a sucker.

She turned around, her eyes all wide and twinkling. I could see surprise dissolved in even the tiniest speck of gold in her eyes. I sensed that she was not breathing. Apparently, I didn't seem to be the only one who was a sucker. I wanted to laugh but I knew this girl would die due to the lack of breath but won't breathe until someone reminded her! How could someone hold his breath for that long?? Silly girl.

"I won't eat you up, Miss Claire. Breathe." I shrugged nonchalantly and stated in a low voice. Just after it, to my surprise, I went along with my urge to wink at her. Stop flirting, Rox!

She ducked her head to hide her...blush?? She was a blushing machine, my God! And just so, to hack my remaining breath, she bit her lower lip.

"Damn." A curse escaped my lips as my breath hitched and my heart raced furiously.

That was it. She hurried past me and ran towards the aisle of benches. I could sense all eyes on us. Cursing my heart and removing all expressions from my face, I aimed towards the end of the room. That's when I saw her giggling with that brown-haired-cute-boy-with-dimples-as-pits!! Idiot boyfriend who couldn't even claim his girl in front of me. Duh.

On my way, my eyes met hers and God knows, I laid my claim better than him..just through the windows of our souls.

He seriously needed some lessons from me. Poor boy!

***

-Back in school, there was this day when my Chemistry professor was giving this really boring lecture to the class on organic reactions. I had my extended legs crossed in front of me and wasn't paying much attention to his deep rumbling voice that reminded me of an old engine of a huge truck discarded at the junk.

"Mr. Dale, repeat my words. NOW." He had shouted from across the room.

"I'm not really listening, you know." I had replied without any change in my posture.

"What's your problem?" He had sounded annoyed.

I had straightened up and crossed my fingers in front of me.

"Here's the thing, Mr. Adams. You give me one useful reason to study chemistry and I'll never be absent from class, both mentally and physically but if you fail to do so, I'm done with it." I could remember easily, that I hadn't lost my cool for even a fraction of a second. That's the thing about truths, you never lose your cool.

"You can always teach it." He had said, trying to reason with me.

"I plan NOT to teach it. You might say that human plans are not trustworthy because no one knows the future. But I tell you, I would love to die of hunger rather than teaching Chemistry. Now what?" I had replied back.

"You can become a chemist." He had argued stubbornly.

"I know what I want to be and that's far from being a chemist." I could recall that I had felt thirty pairs of eyes on me.

"WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM, MR. DALE?!" He had practically shouted at me.

"You know what? This is a stupid subject with imaginary atoms that no human eye can see! Neither do I have an uncontrolled curiosity bubbling up in me to know everything in the world. All these made up reactions and chemicals are not going to provide me with entertainment or food in my life. Unfortunately, I'm an ordinary human being who isn't genius enough to go out of the way and make an advanced atom bomb for my country. I hate war and if you aim for peace then struggle for peace, not war! I need something useful and productive in my life, sir. I'm done with all the useless stuff around me. To be honest, atom bombs suck. And I just realized that I had an epiphany. That epiphany shouts out to my entire being that "You're done with Chemistry, Roxen Dale" and fortunately, I'm going to agree with that. Chemistry really sucks. Goodbye."