First Sight ♡

I woke up to find Doris gone. She must have stayed until I slept peacefully. She truly cared for me and I felt as if she was a part of my family. I recalled the several nights of the past month when I tossed and shouted in bed after my nightmares and she always stayed there through the night with me. I remembered how my father used to worry about his only son and she made sure that I was at peace to calm him down. Those days were dreadful, all the visits to the doctors and the psychiatrists marked my gloom. That was also the time when I learnt the worst secret of my life and I hated myself for exposing an unknown girl to it's trial at the expense of my promise to mom.

Shaking these depressing thoughts from my mind, I got up and dressed. At last, the day had arrived. I anticipated the progress of the upcoming moments of the day as I wore a shirt and jeans and put on my sneakers. Then, I strode downstairs.

Doris welcomed me with a cheerful smile. She was like that: hearty and loving. I hugged and thanked her for helping me through the night and for waiting on me. As always, she portrayed it to be no problem for her and advised me to wear a jacket as it was cold outside but I told her that the last month had hardened me enough to ignore the cold. She dropped the conversation immediately. I liked her for that: she always knew when to drop it. Dad was out of the State for some foreign affair so we both had breakfast together and then I bid her goodbye, telling her to wait for me at dinner.

Afterwards, I drove my Volvo to a nearby bookstore. There, I bought some envelopes and blank sheets of paper. Then I looked for her address and parked my car a few yards away from her home. I walked to her home and hid behind a tree at the front of her house.

Taking out a piece of paper, I thought of the things I wanted to write there. I desired to warn her that she would see me at school today but it was ridiculous. Why would she care? She didn't even know me. I knew that I was being stupid but I so wanted to hint her about me. I decided to write my name only but that seemed too blunt.

My greatest fear was that what if she was already in a relationship with someone? Then I had two choices. First was to let it be and walk away silently, thinking that it wasn't meant to be and that mom would understand it..wherever she was. My heart twisted. I ignored the ache in my heart while pondering over my second option which was to be a devil and do whatever I could to get her to fulfill my promise to mom. I peeked at her house while thinking this stuff. That's when the door opened and a lady walked outside with a girl behind her.

There are some moments in life so sheer with sweetness that they remind you of dripping and rolling honey and melt your heart. Such was the sweetness of those soft and gentle, honey eyes. There are some treasures in the world that snatch away your sanity like the spark of a precious ruby. Such was the treasure of those rosy lips as they curved into a magical smile. There are some movements in the stillness of life that catch your eye and indulge you deeply like the ripples in silent water or fluttering of a swan's wing. Such was the fluttering of her little delicate hand as she waved goodbye to that lady who was, supposedly, her mom. There are some scenarios that still your heart beat and make your eyes go wide with wonder like the sight of the sunrise over a deep ocean blending gold into the waves of the water that crash against the sand softly. Such was the sight of her wavy golden hair that swayed from left to right, falling down her back, as she turned and closed the door.

Damn. She was gone. Leaving me breathless, she was gone.

I looked dumbfoundingly at the house and thought whether everything that I had witnessed was true or a mere extraction of my imagination. Finally, I concluded that it was the reality.

She was so beautiful that my eyes hurt at the lost of her sight. Everything about her reflected softness. I truly wanted to ring the bell at that moment, flung her in my arms and embrace her tightly. I felt so lighthearted after such a long time. I smiled.

I had just seen the most beautiful girl of the world.

I blinked at the page in my hand and thought how could someone be that much beautiful? She was perfect and amazing in her own way, to describe which, I found myself lost at words. I realized I was smiling brilliantly. I was a fool who was infatuated by a girl he saw for the first time. I couldn't believe myself as it contradicted my rather reserved and controlled self. At last, I wrote these words on the paper.

I SAW YOU, HAZEL.

"Hazel."  I whispered her name to myself. It was like a beautiful melody to my lips. Still, it sounded foreign to me as I had never spoken it before. But there was something wrong about the note. I thought about it for a minute and then I got the problem. Firstly, I wanted her to feel my presence with her even in my absence and for that, SEE was the right word. Secondly, everyone around her called her Hazel, probably, whereas I wanted something special that could stick with her. Ultimately, I came up with the right words.

MISS CLAIRE, I SEE YOU.

Writing these words on another sheet of paper, I planned to write my name beneath it but decided against it as I wanted to surprise her. Finally, I put it in an envelope and sneaked to the front of her house. I left the envelope at her doorstep where she could see it clearly and tiptoed back to my hiding place.

After waiting for some moments, I saw the door open and she came out, her hair tied up in a high ponytail. She explored the sky with her wonderfully bright eyes and hugged her cardigan,  clearly trying to keep away the cold. She was really breath taking but, by her manners, I knew that she was unaware of this beautiful fact. I shook my head and smiled. She was a fairy wandering on our planet. I had seen so many girls but never did I see someone so innocent and pure as she. I didn't know what was happening to me as what I felt then, I had never felt before.

Then I saw her sight capture the envelope on her doorstep. She looked confused as she picked it up and opened it. There, she read it and gasped, her lips parting in surprise. With her eyes mixed with confusion and innocence, she shook her head in frustration and her golden hair slid over her shoulder to the front. She put the envelope in her bag and started walking down the road.

That was the moment when it hit me that what I felt was more than infatuation. It was love..at first sight.