Paradise or War Zone?

Light faded slowly beyond the net curtains as I sat on the love seat in the lounge and awaited the consequences of my insanity. I wasn't afraid of anything but one; I didn't want her to be frightened of me. What I had done and the way I was seated in her lounge was definitely enough to scare her off. This thought provoked me to give myself a reality check.

I weighed the pros and cons of the situation and decided that I had gained the best out of the moment and I needn't regret it. I had invaded her territory, explored it leisurely, coveted a few of her possessions and made pasta for a mother. I was satisfied with my doings. Disclosing my identity was another thing, though.

I got up and went about the lounge, drawing all the curtains that led even a hint of light into the room. Having done this all, I took my place on the love seat and waited for her, la mia perla preziosa..il mio amore.

I smiled sadly as Italian found it's way through my thoughts. I had learned it from Mom who had been very much interested in various languages and knew more than five languages till her death. I sighed at the thought and diverted my attention to the dim surrounding around me which was enough to hide my face unless she switched on the light. But I had other plans, thinking of which brought a wicked smile to my lips.

My wait grew longer as the afternoon traveled towards the evening. I kept wondering about my unbelievable situation. Never in my life had I imagined that someday, I would wait for a girl so earnestly. The click of the door knob brought me out of my reverie. My muscles tensed. Now or never.

I swiftly took my place behind the door as I saw her golden head peek inside.

"Welcome home." I spoke in a deep voice, stopping her mid steps. I shut the door quickly as she gasped.

"Wh-who are you?" A light whisper rippled the darkness. My breath hitched. This was it. My thoughts wandered off to floating clouds and rolling honey in an instant. My God! Either I had never paid attention to voices before or...she had the lightest voice ever. Light as a feather.

I couldn't stop myself at the sheer sweetness and delicacy of her voice. Slowly, I got hold of her small frame and backed her to the wall. Her fragrance dissolved in the air around me. It reminded me of only one thing.

Madness.

Bringing my lips to her ear, I spoke lightly..

"If you recall, we have business to deal with, Miss Claire."

I remembered to stick to 'Miss Claire'.

Her breathing grew wild. My heartbeat picked up pace. I knew I was walking on a tight rope between paradise and war zone. It was a sweet disaster to walk on it but one thing I was sure of, it led to infinity..

The pain was worth it all.

"No..please." Her hands fisted my shirt as my fingers moved down her soft hair.

I hated 'no' when all I wanted was her.

I got hold of her hands and pinned them to the wall by her sides. Resting my forehead with hers, I felt her breath on my lips. I could feel her heart hammering against my chest.

"Never say no to me. Clear? Clear." I concluded before placing my lips on her forehead.

The contact burned me deeply. Our worlds collided and set my heart on fire.

I was enjoying the wildness of the moment until I felt that she was not responding to me anymore. Slumped down into my arms, all of her weight rested on me. She was breathing softly now. It was only after a few moments that realization hit me; she had fainted.

Damn.

This was the last thing that I had expected in the world.

I gathered her in my arms quickly and carried her to her bedroom upstairs. Laying her down on the bed, I felt how fragile she was. It was no surprise that she fainted so easily! I placed a hand to her forehead. She seemed fine to me. Her breathing was calm and easy.

My panic subsided and I lost myself into her soft image lying there peacefully. God knew why he destined a raw guy like me to meet this fragile and frail girl. She was in no sense made for me, yet I felt like a cord tied both of us together. I knew this because no girl had ever done to me what she did to me.

But I was being unfair to her in a lot of ways. Firstly, I was hiding my identity from her and frustrating her through my letters. Secondly, I had invaded her place and privacy. Thirdly, I had stolen her stuff. Fourthly, I was hiding the most cruel secret of my life from her. Who said I wasn't a bad boy? I was everything but good. I sighed.

Running a hand through the curls of her honey hair, I spoke sadly.

"Forgive me for the pain I inflict on you, my dear, but don't be afraid. I'll not leave you in between. I promise to walk this infinity with you, mia cara. And I never break my promises. Mark my words if you hear me beyond this screen of unconsciousness, Hazel. I don't break my promises..ever."

A pool of satisfaction rolled over me as I called her Hazel..

Having said this, I kissed her forehead once again and stood up to leave. I knew she had just fainted out of fear and wasn't in danger. Eventually, she would wake up. I cast a last glance at her, drunk the sight of her presence and left her room.

Reaching the front door, I spotted her bag by it. A thought occurred to me so I brought it to the sofa and opened it. Finally, I found out what I wanted. Her drawing. I had never seen such a piece of art. It was so captivating that I lost myself into it. Finally, I took out my pen and wrote something like this under the drawing.

A beautiful business, though. I like it, Miss Claire.

I didn't bother to disguise my real hand writing as I wanted to pay her a genuine tribute. My heart swelled with pride and an emotion called love that I had been experiencing lately.

My plan changed, however, when I took out the sheet of paper and the envelope from my bag to write her another letter. The tribute was genuine but I wanted to play along the letter game. So I changed my writing this time as I wrote the most genuine words ever.

"I hope you see it one day, beyond the skyscrapers of Amsterdam, you see it, the way our horizons meet. Because,
MISS CLAIRE, I HAVE FOUND YOU."

I smiled at the mention of skyscrapers but I had this theory that skyscrapers were a hurdle to Nature and love was the closest thing to Nature. I wanted her to see my love beyond all the hurdles of life, those hurdles that I resembled with the skyscrapers that made it difficult for us to see the horizon beyond.

When I was done with all the writing, I put the note into the envelope and tiptoed upstairs with our bags. I placed her bag in the room and the drawing along with the envelope on her bedside table. I was doing this when I heard the horn of her Mom's car downstairs! I knew I couldn't leave by the front door now.

I looked towards the window; my only refuge. Bringing my lips close to her ears, I whispered lightly.

"Rivederti, dolce cuore..."

Then I opened the window and stepped outside. Leaving the window unlocked, I drew the curtains in front of it and climbed down the pipe. I waited for the front door to close. Once I heard her Mom close it after her, I tiptoed to the front and taking out the key from my bag, placed it under the doormat again.

Walking towards my car that night, I knew one thing for sure. I could cross any paradise or war zone to find our infinity. I knew I would.