Grey

Getting drunk on the universe

A feeling that sweeps your feet off the floor and makes you float above all the tangible realities. A sensation that drowns you into oceans of magical collisions and all you feel is your soul which seems untangled from the strings of your unreliable physique; free like a sky lark, soaring high in the blue skies and makes you accept that it doesn't hurt to get drunk on the universe once in a while.

Light elysian air kisses the gold in my hair and I feel like I'm touched by the softest caresses of all. My gaze wanders across the glimmering water in the lake which is embraced by shady sunlight and rests upon the cluster of fresh green trees ahead. It doesn't feel strange, how a simple act of opening up a bedroom window can change everything inside you. But I know, for the first time in my life, that I'm on the edge of insanity so...

I turn around.

He lies on his side with his face towards me. Covered with a soft blanket, his frame is hidden from my eyes yet I feel that he's lost weight in the past few weeks. I see satisfaction residing all over his facial features but I know the shade of death hiding inside the mesmerising grey that rests behind his closed eyelids. He's been sleeping soundly for hours now and suddenly, I'm embraced by the same old fear of losing him that looms over my senses like a shadow. Like a maniac, I leave the peaceful place by the window and walk over to him hurriedly.

Stretching my palm closer to his face, I try to detect his breath when his soft hand grasps mine in a light hold and pulls me down to sit by his side. Ever so slowly, his eyelids lift to reveal the stunning grey crystals hidden behind them and then, he smiles.

The smile of a lost sailor who discovers the shore in the middle of a tempest. The smile of a drugged soul feeling the vibrant shades of ecstasy for the first time. The smile of a poor wanderer who's found a chest of gold coins in an unknown cave. The smile of a soldier who's won the war.

The war of love, but not of life.

And his smile pierces through my entire existence before I gulp down a gush of agony. Yet, a tear escapes the confinements of my right eye to roll down the plain of my cheek before hugging my cold neck and soaking into the dull fabric of my shirt. He frowns slightly and presses my hand ever so gently which evokes a sob from the depth of my throat and I meet his hooded gaze before whispering, "You're dying...".

He smiles once again and it kills me but then he whispers something so strange that I look at him in utter shock.

"So are you, Hazel." I see peace in his eyes. My eyebrows draw together in question and it deepens his smile before he continues to explain.

"...and so is everyone." Closing his eyes lightly, he pulls my hand and places my palm over his heart.

"But I'm glad that, until it beats, it beats for you." Soothing the back of my hand with his velvety touch, he refers to the heart under my touch. That's when I break down into silent sobs and he pulls me down to rest my head over his chest before running his fingers through my golden curls. His heartbeat is creating melodious symphonies inside my ear before his voice resonates in the silent air.