Stepping Stones..

Have you ever seen ripples in a silent lake when a stone is thrown inside it? It's called precession. Those who have had the pleasure of watching this extremely breath taking scenario could easily understand what my eyes were beholding at the moment. Well..she was the lake and I was having the experience of observing a precession in her for the first time. I swear, the display of this chaos in her soul was far more enticing than its tranquility..

She had left me utterly amazed by revealing sound energy as she got up and paced towards the door after wiping her tears harshly by the back of her hand. I didn't know she was capable of such strength and enthusiasm. I had always perceived her as a fragile and delicate lass who was inappropriate for this hardcore world. I would have remained enthralled by her spirit for some more moments but something caught my eye. The sketch.

It was something that engaged all of my senses deeply. I devoured the majestic touch that she had given to my facial features. I had never felt myself to be this handsome but I saw it now, how the magic of her delicate fingers had dissolved into whole of my face and made it a stranger for me. A well known stranger.

How could someone create perfection out of imperfection this beautifully...and not claim it?!

"You forgot to sign, Miss Claire." I called behind her. She stopped mid step and turned around, something which I half expected. Returning back, she splayed her hand in front of me. I looked directly in her eyes and admired the resolve in them. She was one heck of a girl.

"Hazel. My name's Hazel." She stated with extreme control as I saw tears melting in the gold of her eyes. She signed the sketch and scribbled the date below it in her neat hand writing. I wondered when I'd stop being affected by this ethereal girl. I could have shifted from Miss Claire to Hazel easily that moment but I thought it to be the best moment for hinting her about the letters.

"I know, Miss Claire." I deliberately avoided using her first name as I observed her face for any sign of realization but all I saw was her locked jaw and I thought she was going to punch me. Damn. Silly silly girl. She won't even get my hints!

Handing the sketch back to me, she picked up her stuff and ran downstairs. I placed the sketch in my bedside drawer and followed her hurriedly. I was at the top of the stairs when my eyes met with...Doris! My heart leaped to my throat in excitement and I forgot the world! After Mom, she was the only one I found my energy from..and here she was standing downstairs, soothing another soul. She was an ultimate angel!

"Doris!! You're back! Wow!" I exclaimed in delight as laughter escaped my throat. Running down the stairs, I hugged her passionately and bent down to hold her hands in mine and kiss them one by one. She was one alive woman whom I respected more than anyone else because she had seen me in my weakest moments and never thought weird of me.

"I so missed you, Doris! Last night was hell without you! Never ever leave me alone like this! Promise me." I held her hands and spoke passionately. I could feel happiness dissolving in my whole being.

"Oh Rox, I promise. I wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been so urgent. I'm sorry." She raised her hand and patted my head. I beamed at her with joy. I was lost in my happiness when I heard a chuckle beside me. Her voice.

"Won't you introduce us, Rox?" Doris pointed towards her and looked at me with her bright green eyes. I composed myself instantly. I couldn't believe I had been such a fool to let down my guard in front of her.

"Miss Claire. She's Miss Claire." I gave another try so as to hint her that I was her 'letter guy' but her face fell and sorrow reflected in her eyes. I instantly felt bad. Thanks heaven, Doris saved me immediately as she cut in and said, "Oh dear, never mind. He has a habit of calling people by their last names. You must have a first name?"

"It's Hazel. Call me Haze." She faked a smile.

Haze? Haze. What a wonderful name for a wonderful girl! She truly left me in a haze every time she crossed my paths. Haze. I liked it instantly.

"Oh what a pretty name!" Doris exclaimed brightly. Worry took hold of my heart as I saw her forming an affiliation with this strange girl from enchanted lands.

"Excuse us, Doris. We need to go. See you at dinner." I quickly bent down and placed a sincere kiss on her cheek. I was so glad she was back! I surely wanted to have a long chat with her about her trip.

"I hope to see you again." She said as she turned towards Hazel who returned her smile brilliantly. My heart raced at her smile. She had such a magical smile, I could see it forever and ever and ever...

Was I day dreaming? God. I paced out hurriedly and took my place behind the steering wheel. I saw her coming out quickly and enter the car like a little storm. I reversed the car and turned on the last song played in my playlist. Stop and Stare by One Republic.

I could feel her relaxing in the seat but after a few moments, she turned towards me and spoke exasperatedly, "Change the song, please."

I cast a side glance at her. What? She didn't like my choice of songs? Huh. I changed it to Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. It was one of my favorites after Mom's demise.

I could feel her sulking by my side. What was her problem? Was my choice that bad? I couldn't believe it. She clearly had some other objection..but what was it? I didn't have to wait long to know it, though.

"Ugh! I need to smile! Please." She groaned loudly while turning off the car stereo. I was laid back by her confidence. This was not something I had expected from her but I kept myself composed. Although, deep inside, I knew that this girl would never fail to surprise me. After all, that's what magic did.

"There are much important things in life than smiling." I looked ahead as I drove towards the school. She should know that everyone didn't own a million dollar smile like her. I wanted to roll my eyes but I refrained from doing such a silly thing in front of her. I didn't want her to think more low of me than she already did.

"What you don't know is that a smile is the easiest and simplest thing that helps makes the important things in life easier." She spoke diligently while crossing her arms and rolling her eyes! My God, she had just done something for which I couldn't muster up my courage! Turning around, she started looking out of the window. She had truly said some valuable words but, by her reaction, I doubted she knew it herself.

She looked so much cute in her anger that I couldn't stop myself. I was quite amused at her courage to roll her eyes at me when I couldn't do the same to her. A smile played on my lips at her adorable attitude so letting down my guard for a whole lot minute, I brought these words on my lips, "That's why you're not smiling right now."

I knew I had crossed the line.

But to my utmost surprise, she turned around and gave me the most cherishing smile ever. I felt awe-struck! What was this heavenly creature doing on our planet?? I looked away instantly or else, I would have gone blind by the brightness of her smile.

That was the moment when realization hit me. There was this lake with stepping stones between us. I had just stepped on the first stone to cross the lake for reaching her and the most rewarding thing about this effort was that..she had accepted it.

Author's Note

A huge elephant thanksssss to all the Imaginators for making it up to 5K reads. It's unbelievable! If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have been here. *-* I sooo love you all sweethearts! ♥♡♥♡♥♡

In the celebration of this occasion, I want to ask you people, whom do you love more, Hazel or Roxen? Answer truly. :)

Gracias, once again, for bringing it up to this place. :')

Okay..so I guess, I have to live without adding songs to my chapters. Sorrie, Imaginators. :x

And yeah, whenever someone will answer my question..if you remember what it was..I'll dedicate the chapter to him/her. *-*

Reminder: How many days does this novel constitute of until Hazel's accident?
Good luck with the answer. ^-^

Much love. :)
Hazel ♥♡