Intrusion

It was a small house that held a soft feeling all about it. Dim daylight, craving it's way through net curtains, created a very dreamy atmosphere in the lounge. The lounge had two doors connected to it; one led to the kitchen while the other one was closed. I opened it and guessed it to be her Mom's room from the dull and decent furniture. I closed the door again. My eyes followed the staircase and saw a door at it's end. I had a feeling that it was her room.

Smiling lightly, I ascended the stairs and opened the door. Staring at her room in awe, I stopped mid steps. I had never been to such a place in my life before!

It was a small tea pink room filled with sweet air. A cozy bed stood against the right side wall over which, the roof slanted like a shelter. I could see a small cupboard by the washroom door on the left side. A dressing table was placed on my left by the door of the room where I was standing at the moment. In front of me was a large floor to ceiling window with white net curtains. A very cute chair with a soft red seat was resting in the window. To the right of the window was a book case with different books set neatly inside. Between the window and the bed was a table over which a lamp hung on the wall. It was a simple and sweet bedroom with a very soft look. It at once reminded me of her.

I walked further, inhaling her soft scent that hung in the air of the room. Such a tiny world she had, yet I felt it had much to be explored. A smile touched my lips as I knew I had enough time to do this, whole day actually. She was at school and her mom was at work. I had her room to myself. I considered myself lucky.

I walked towards the window and looked outside. It looked upon the back lawn and the street ahead of it. I smiled at the tiny chair, imagining her sitting there and looking out of the window. But evil as I was, my sweet imagination was interrupted by a nasty yet exciting idea. I checked the lock of the window and unlocked it. Opening it, I looked down and saw that it was easier to climb up here if aided by the pipe attached by the window. I smiled and closed the window, leaving it unlocked. Had Mom been there, she would have shook her head in disapproval but I was doing this for her. No guilt. No shame. Besides, there was no shame for a bad boy.

I shook the thought and looked around the room. The table by the bed caught my eye. It was a high table with a cabinet and a drawer. A large empty cup in a bowl was placed on it for decoration. In the lower shelf of the table rested white sneakers and a...skipping rope? Wow..she was really cute! I never knew she liked sports. But then..I didn't know her. I sighed.

The sight of the skipping rope created in my mind, an image of a little girl from a fairy tale skipping around in large gardens. I smiled. It reminded me of Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden. I wondered if she would help me find my secret garden and get on my feet again just like Mary helped Colin Craven. The thought blurred as I opened the cabinet and took out a photo album. Picking up a soft stuffed brown dog from the bed and placing it in my lap, I sat down on the bed and opened the album.

That's when I realized that from the newborn to the toddler and from the child to this young girl, Hazel had always been an angel. With her golden hair and twinkling honey eyes, she had smiled brightly always. There she was, smiling in her father's arms, smiling while reading Enid Blyton stories, smiling on a bicycle with her Mom beside her, smiling in a theme park with an ice cream in her hand, smiling at the beach in her shorts and top, smiling with her arms open in the rain, smiling with a paint brush in her hand and paint squatted all over her face and clothes, smiling in the bus with her hands free in her ears, smiling in a pretty pink dress at a friend's birthday party....smiling always. All the emotions; surprise, awe, excitement, madness, wildness, everything ended up merging in her bright smile that twinkled her eyes. It brought a smile to my lips. I couldn't imagine someone else having such a bright smile.